Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Battery resurrection

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
Anybody have some thots about rejuvenating totally discharged lead/acid batteries? Or better yet, facts about methods to rejuvenate a 12 V battery and its following performance characteristics. Battery University mostly proclaims that once a l/a battery has been so deeply discharged, it will remain so for eternity.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
My totally discharged lead acid batteries through a very complex process and should not in any way be attempted by amateurs... turn into boat anchors. I would agree with Battery University.

danadak

Feb 19, 2021
Take a look at a number of videos on Youtube. I have used recently epsom
salts on on a battery and recovered most of its capacity.

Regards, Dana.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
There are many factors that contribute to poor battery performance and failure, & it is important to diagnose the symptoms of poor battery performance before determining a cure.
It is also important for amateurs to understand that many of the supposed “cures” can damage the battery, while others can be dangerous and do nothing to improve battery performance. Proceed with caution.

Kiwi

Jan 28, 2013
Has the battery recently been fully discharged, or has it been sitting around for ages in a discharged state?

How old is it?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Depends on the damage. Plates can be buckled/shorted (can't be fixed). Oxides may fall from plates and form short at bottom of cell (can't be fixed). Usually only a 'chemical' issue is some-what fixable but never to the extent that makes the battery as good as it was or - importantly - RELIABLE.

You'll spend as much time/money trying to get 'some' performance out of it as you would buying a replacement.

danadak

Feb 19, 2021
Actually there are videos on YouTube showing battery flush to remove
some of the oxides. There are even videos where plates are removed
and case cleaned. Video's where shorts were removed with very high
current, not exactly rocket science in the positive sense. None where
actual engineering battery capacity measurements made. Videos on
HV pulses for oxide removal. I can confirm they work somewhat, but so
far over several batteries I did not get a new battery out of the process,
just a battery that works for another day....:)

Some videos discuss safety, others not so much. Buyer beware.

I liken all these methods similar to herbal health care approaches,
some work, some dont, most no real science, and many stores selling
these homeopathic solutions. Buyer beware....

So with batteries approaching $ 150 for a modest car and long term
erosion in buyer power these marginal psuedo solutions will persist.

Regards, Dana.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Believe what you will from youtube or instructables for that matter.
Still a great furfie.....last phrase sums it up.

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019

Some videos discuss safety, others not so much. Buyer beware.

I liken all these methods similar to herbal health care approaches,
some work, some dont, most no real science, and many stores selling
these homeopathic solutions. Buyer beware....

So with batteries approaching $ 150 for a modest car and long term
erosion in buyer power these marginal psuedo solutions will persist.

Regards, Dana.
Agreed. The battery used in this experiment, I suspect has been frozen, so my expectations were low. Basically, I did a flush of the cells, recharged with new electrolyte, then proceeded to charge. Prior to this experiment, I put a flushed battery on a charger. After several hours, I disconnected the battery from the charger and read a voltage of near zero. I figured it was a bust. Later that next day I took a volt reading and the voltage had increased significantly. Can't exactly explain why that happens but believe it has to do with electrolyte acid concentration rising as charging and eventually affecting lead plates. Anyway, the current battery had the same delayed charging action. At this point it takes a charge but quickly drops to 8.4 volts and will hold a voltage slightly over 8 volts. I'm concluding that the battery has 4 good cells and 2 ruined cells, most likely shorted from a freezing event. I like the idea of burning away a short but will ponder that idea before proceeding to try it. A battery constructed with a case bottom that can be removed and then reattached would often be advantageous.

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
Depends on the damage. Plates can be buckled/shorted (can't be fixed). Oxides may fall from plates and form short at bottom of cell (can't be fixed). Usually only a 'chemical' issue is some-what fixable but never to the extent that makes the battery as good as it was or - importantly - RELIABLE.

You'll spend as much time/money trying to get 'some' performance out of it as you would buying a replacement.
A removable case bottom would be an improvement, but "economists" of the highest order still insist that planned obsolescence is the road to better living.

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
Has the battery recently been fully discharged, or has it been sitting around for ages in a discharged state?

How old is it?
Read my reply to danadak for more insight. Thanks for the inquiry.

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
Believe what you will from youtube or instructables for that matter.
Still a great furfie.....last phrase sums it up.
Video title youtube; Brilliant technique of lead acid battery restoration.
This guy has it. Maybe a little lead poisoning, few minor acid burns, no health insurance, but his family had food today. I find his work admirable. Forgive the youtube link but I truly do find this video remarkable.

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
Yes, well, it's right next door to the free energy mob.
There are definitely some nutzoids out there. Perhaps they might change the Twilight Zone to the Entertainment Section. I watched a video of a guy's anti-gravity device. Apparently all it does is to cause cameras in the immediate vicinity to turn up-side-down. Very entertaining.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
There are definitely some nutzoids out there.
I knew you're going to say that. In truth my Crystal Ball knew. My goodness all these naysayers out there! I have personally built an anti-gravity car powered by an anti-gravity rejuvenated lead acid battery. And it works. But all it did was drive me up the wall!!

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
I knew you're going to say that. In truth my Crystal Ball knew. My goodness all these naysayers out there! I have personally built an anti-gravity car powered by an anti-gravity rejuvenated lead acid battery. And it works. But all it did was drive me up the wall!!
I paralleled 2 rebuilt batteries and got pretty good performance.SONIC BOOM COMPI 1.1.png