Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Battery tester project

Lukhanyo

Jul 19, 2022
please help out here I am a student doing project designing the device or system for recording the reading of battery discharge (12V , 0-0.3, 0 - 200Ah Lead Acid battery and Lithium battery). The device or system must be able to vary the load while vary the load and observe the discharging parameters of the battery voltage, current, time and must and temperature using an arduino to control the system and displaying all the parameters.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Constant current discharge on a small scale is easy enough and then monitor what ever you like with the Arduino.
There are many such Arduino monitoring code around you could piece together.
A 200Ah battery discharge control would be a different story though if at high amperage.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
You can 'pulse' discharge a large Ahr battery and take the measurements very quickly - this reduces the dissipation in the measurement load considerably. Use a high current MOSFET (low on-resistance) and suitable load resistance and program accordingly.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
It also reduces the actual load as the load then becomes a factor of on and off time.

Lukhanyo

Jul 19, 2022
You can 'pulse' discharge a large Ahr battery and take the measurements very quickly - this reduces the dissipation in the measurement load considerably. Use a high current MOSFET (low on-resistance) and suitable load resistance and program accordingly.
Thank you I have chosen IRF32005Pbf TO - 220 AB Power MOSFET to handle high current, and also for my load must be set to three varieties to discharge the battery it must be first set to 0.1C to discharge and take measurement and also be set to 0.2C and 0.3C. Also i must take all the measurements and compare there discharge time,temperature and current.

KellyGreene

Aug 4, 2022
Hello Lukhanyo,

Would it be possible to send in the progress of your project? I was trying to work on a battery tester project some time ago but git stuck. Maybe I could try out your design process?

Lukhanyo

Jul 19, 2022
Hello Lukhanyo,

Would it be possible to send in the progress of your project? I was trying to work on a battery tester project some time ago but git stuck. Maybe I could try out your design process?

Hello KellyGreene

Thank you for your reply

The idea here is to design device or system for recording the reading of battery discharge ( Specifications :12V , 0-0.3, 0 - 200Ah Lead Acid battery and Lithium battery). The device or system must be able to vary the load while vary the load and observe the discharging parameters of the battery voltage, current, time and must and temperature using an arduino to control the system and displaying all the parameters. I tried to design the system what you see here on the picture I am trying to send PWM signal to control the load to set it to 0.1C , 0.2C and 0.3C for discharging and using IRL1004PBF transistor to handle the high current flowing through the load. I would appreciate your help. Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20220805_093539_compressed.pdf
    190.6 KB · Views: 11