Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Bearing found inside subwoofer! Does it go to it?

Lezlie

Apr 19, 2020
Hi. I have a HK395(S) 3 peice speaker system and I had lent it to a friend. He brought it back to me the other day, but failed to mention the strange rattling sound of an object moving around within the main sub! It sounded similar to a marble possibly. (He has little kids so I thought maybe they put something in it through the hole)
So I opened up the back and found a freestanding, small bearing within. Its about the size of a quarter and about 2-3cm thick. (Pic will follow). My question is, does it go to the speaker and fell off/out of something or was it placed in there with little fingers?? I've looked through the whole inside of the sub box but cant find a placement location for it. Thanks!! (Sorry, apparently I cannot upload a pic of this piece I found. I may be able to after I post this??)

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Sorry, apparently I cannot upload a pic of this piece I found. I
Simply paste the image into the edit window. A file size less than 100 kB is usually good, I do not know the upper limit to file size.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I think the first question is :
Does the speaker box have a hole/grill or port that would allow an item of this size to enter it?.
And secondly, is it a ball bearing or a sealed bearing race?.

If this unit is purely a sub box, I doubt it has any reason to be inside other than curious little fingers.

Ask your friend if they are missing a ball from a game like ‘Crossfire’.

Martin

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
And if the enclosure is ported . . . .that is one possible, easy entry point.. . . . . . . . .damn rugrats!
( BTW . . . .Crossfire balls are MUCH -MUCH-MUCH smaller than an AMERIKANSKI quarter. )

Last edited:

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
Have built quite a few ported speakers. Never found any need for a small bearing. I think as others have intimated, little people have wondered what might happen if I just put this little thing through this hole?????

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Sounds like a complete ball-bearing (outer race, inner ball carrier with balls, inner race) from your description of size (about that of a quarter) plus thickness. Might have come from a disassembled toy, however unlikely that might be. How old are the "little kids" and how handy are they with tools? This "mystery object" does not belong in your sub-woofer unless... more on this after much further research.