Maker Pro
Maker Pro

[Beginner] 1 radio transmitter for multiple radio streams

kmaro

Oct 31, 2009
Hello guys,

I have no firm background on electronics, so, it might sound like a dumb question.

I want to know whether it's possible to have 1 radio transmitter that broadcasts many radio channels/frequencies, I made a small search, and found out that FM radio transmitters only broadcast 1 frequency, so if you want to have more, you have to add more FM radio transmitters. I Also heard about radio amateur transmitters, which they can broadcast many frequencies, but the sound quality is bad comparing to FM, in addition, they require a special radio device to receive their signals.

So the question is: Do you have any antenna solution that can have 1 transmitter and broadcasts many frequencies that can be received via a casual radio device?

Cheers

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
Most simple transmitters are tuned to just one frequency.
You'll need a linear output amplifier for your purpose. It operates on a broad frequency band. Each channel will still need it's own modulator, but then it's just a matter of adding them together into the linear output amplifier to get the range you need.
You could also synthesize the whole modulating (multi-channel) band in one go, but I think this is more of a challenge.
The radio amateur transmitters you heard about can only transmit on one frequency at a time, and they are made for speech only (narrow-band).
Antennas usually work on broader frequency bands than tuned amplifiers.
Anything is possible, but the methods (and costs) to achieve the desired results can vary.

kmaro

Oct 31, 2009
Thanks for your valuable clarifications. Do you know any product or prototype I can buy for this purpose?

Cheers

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
I'm sorry but I don't have an overview of the market.
Perhaps if you clarify your specific needs/intentions a bit more someone else might chime in.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
As Resqueline said we need to know a bit more about what you are trying to achieve

other ways of transmitting multiple channels on a single frequency is to digitise the
separate channel signals then multiplex then into the transmitter....
the simplest form would be time division multiplexing where a sample is taken from each channel in turn and transmitted The TX and RX multiplexers need to be time sync'ed so that the data is separated into the correct channels at the RX end
channels

Dave
VK2TDN