Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Beginner help with power connection

bloodpatina

Jul 6, 2011
I am trying to make a device that turns the power of a heating element off and on to maintain a consistent temperature. I have a digital temperature controller(dtc) and I need help powering it. I really don't know what I am doing with the electronics, so will need to know everything in layman's terms.

I have included a picture of the device.

zYPtR.jpg

I assume 1 and 2 are for the connection to what the dtc is controlling. Cut the power wire and attach to device at 1 and 2 to complete circuit?

It says that 3, 4, 5, and 6 are for power.

And 7 and 8 are for the sensor, which is already attached.

Thanks for your help!

DaleFranklin

Jul 5, 2011
The model number is listed on the device as "WH7016C". I suggest trying to find a manual for that device which would probably have a sample hookup diagram. If you are guessing on how to hook it up you might damage the device.

Dale
http://www.activeenterprisesltd.com

daddles

Jun 10, 2011
The advice for finding the instruction manual is a good one. If you don't and hook something up wrong, you could destroy the device. It's not quite obvious how it works. Here are my guesses:

Terminals 1 and 2 are for the heating device that controls the heat input into the system that is controlled.

Terminals 3 and 4 are for the AC power to run the electronics.

Terminals 5 and 6 would probably be a voltage that establishes the set point to control to.

Terminals 7 and 8 are for a thermistor to measure the temperature; it has the electrical characteristics specified on the package.

If I had the device, I have some electronic devices that I would use with it to test my hypotheses about the required connections. But I would first exhaust all approaches to finding the manual. And I would certainly try to find a Chinese person to translate all of the Chinese symbols on the case. Then, I'd be willing to sacrifice the unit if I experimented on it.

Note you can buy PID controllers pretty cheaply nowdays, so it's probably not critical that this thing be used if you can't find documentation for it.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The basic answer is that power goes to the power connections, the switch connection should switch power to the heater (or whatever) and the NTC terminals (presumably) connect to an NTC thermistor.

TBennettcc

Dec 4, 2010
My guess would be that it's designed to control a 220V heating element. The load would go between the "220V" and Terminal #1 In section #2, Part #1 (220V) on Page 2 of the "foreign" manual.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Yep, I'd say that is correct. The manual shows 2 wiring arrangements, one for 12VDC and the other for 220VAC (or something like that). With the exception of the voltage, the wiring is the same.