Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Beginner, need help!

lynkynpark86

Oct 22, 2011
I am just starting with electronics (well, I used a kit awhile ago). I am familiar with how circuits work, but I don't understand schematics at all! There's a simple 5-component I'm trying to build, but I don't get the schematic. The circuit just ends with this symbol with 4 lines on top of each other (it almost looks like the ground symbol) after a photocell, and on a transistor, one of the leads goes to the same symbol. I'll try to post a picture of it. Please help?

The schematic is here: http://uploadir.com/u/216g0i

It has a variable resistor, a capacitor, a transistor, a 9V, a photo cell, and a siren.

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
The symbols used in diagrams are just like words in a language that you'll have to learn. It takes a while to understand, and even longer to become fluent.
The four lines on top of each other is a ground symbol. In this diagram it's just used to indicate a common negative connection, not that it should be really grounded.
The circuit as drawn is hard to understand because wires and parts are placed in a "random" fashion. It should be drawn as shown below.
The circuit also won't work as drawn, unless the photocell is of a type that produces a current. What is the circuit supposed to accomplish?
Notice that the +9V symbol with three connections is "impossible" to understand for a pro. It's a guess as to what it's supposed to mean.

Attachments

• PhotoSiren.PNG
    PhotoSiren.PNG
    27.3 KB · Views: 254
  • PhotoSimpl.PNG
    PhotoSimpl.PNG
    24.1 KB · Views: 315