Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Beginner Needs Assistance

lgldsr73

May 28, 2012
Greetings,

At the onset let me apologize if this is not the correct category for posting these questions.

The short of it is this: I have been in Information Technology for 30 years now and it's time to make a career change at 55 years old. Okay, closer to 56 but whatever! I am as much a virgin to electronics as one is going to ever meet, so with that in mind...

What equipment should I have to begin studying? Thus far I have a Tektronix 2215A scope, a BK 3011B Function Generator, soldering iron, and a VOM meter.

I have been told that I should consider obtaining a LINEAR DC POWER SUPPLY 30V 5A HY3005F-3 TRIPLE OUTPUTS such as at:

[link removed]
http://www.mastechpowersupply.com/d...y-30v-5a-hy3005f-3-triple-outputs/prod_9.html
I really need some serious guidance as I'm starting from scratch, and very much so. An suggestions such as equipment, books to read, etc., greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Lyman

Last edited by a moderator:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
For a complete beginner you're talking some fairly complex equipment. If you are as newbie as you say then none of it will help you for a while (not saying to get rid of it, just put it aside until you need it).

The exception is the multimeter. That is an essential piece of equipment.

Same goes for the power supply. Until you know what you're going to be interested in and doing, I wouldn't splash out on a device which will initially be extreme overkill, and later may not be exactly what you need.

Starting off, some form of power supply IS required, but you can get away with batteries for a good many things.

So what are you interested in?

Do you have any idea how to use the equipment you already have? (It would place you well above "virgin" if you did)

Do you understand ohms law? (The relationship between voltage, current and resistance)

Is your mathematical background strong (you understand differential equations), good (algebra is no problem), or poor (Arithmetic OK, but can't solve equations)?

What experience related to things electrical do you have?

p.s. I removed the link because sometimes we have people trying to disguise advertising as questions. I'm not suggesting that you're doing that but I act from an abundance of caution.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Electronics is a pretty big field.
You need to consider pretty much where you want to go with this.
Hobby stuff, or repair of equipment, or designing circuits. It'll make a difference in what
you need to start out with, not just electronics test equipment, but the type of tools
you'll need. (Surface mount, or breadboarding, or what you intend to lead up to).
Theory is what you'll need to start out, but as soon as you've got the theory down,
you're going to want to build it, and see it work, that's how you learn. There's a lot
of practical application stuff that you pick-up, over and above what the theory is.