Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Beginner project

Weaver

Sep 12, 2015
Hello,
I have no background in electronics but am looking for some guidance in a project I would like to build. I am a mechanic by trade so I have a basic understanding.

I am looking to build a electric jigging reel for a commercial fisherman. I was planing on using a high torque gear motor between 60 and 80 rpm 12vdc I want to be able to program it to run a predetermined time to run the line out then back in for 2seconds out for 2 seconds and reel the line in for a predetermined time and then continuously repeat the cycle.

Thanks for the help

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
Beginner project?

Chris

Old Steve

Jul 23, 2015
My answer would be to use a micro-controller, controlling a H-bridge motor driver circuit.
You'll need a micro-controller, (with compiler/assembler software), a programmer and associated software to program the chip, a H-bridge capable of handling your motor current to provide the fwd/reverse control, (perhaps an L298N IC, rather than discrete components), then a circuit board to mount it all on. Associated resistors, capacitors etc and a regulator also on the circuit board and you're good-to-go.
Also some practice time to learn how to write (the relatively simple) code for the micro-controller, too.

Weaver

Sep 12, 2015
Thanks for the help I'm sure there will be more questions to follow
Thanks again!

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
My answer would be to use a micro-controller, controlling a H-bridge motor driver circuit.
You'll need a micro-controller, (with compiler/assembler software), a programmer and associated software to program the chip, a H-bridge capable of handling your motor current to provide the fwd/reverse control, (perhaps an L298N IC, rather than discrete components), then a circuit board to mount it all on. Associated resistors, capacitors etc and a regulator also on the circuit board and you're good-to-go.
Also some practice time to learn how to write (the relatively simple) code for the micro-controller, too.
Steve, you forgot to include making this compatible with one of the harshest environments on earth....blue water. That said I'm struggling to find the "Beginner Project" elements in this.

Chris

Old Steve

Jul 23, 2015
Steve, you forgot to include making this compatible with one of the harshest environments on earth....blue water. That said I'm struggling to find the "Beginner Project" elements in this.

Chris
Yeah you're right. An oversight.
@Weaver, buy a box for it too. :D

I'm still looking for the beginner aspect too.
Mind you, if Weaver knows anyone with enough electronics know-how to solder it all onto a "vero" board or similar and put it into a waterproof box, one of us here could easily draw the schematic, write the code and program up a micro.
I'd happily do it for cost. (The schematic and micro only, I should add. Not all the hunting & collecting of the other parts, or any assembly.)

Old Steve

Jul 23, 2015
Actually, instead of a stand-alone micro-controller and compiler/assembler/programmer set, an Arduino is a cheap option. Mine was only AUD$8.00 with cable, delivered. The IDE is a free download too.

Old Steve

Jul 23, 2015
Yeah, that was my first thought too - an oscillator running at 4sec per cycle, but it's got to feed out the line first, before starting the 2 second in / 2 second out cycles, then be able to wind the full line back in again. It would need more than just an astable w/ counter unfortunately. By the time a few components go on the board to do that, it's as easy to use a micro.

Edit: A micro makes it easy to implement speed control if needed, too.
Almost forgot - here's links to the Arduino and an L298-based Arduino bi-directional motor 'shield' (driver). 2A per side max.
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/arduinoBoardUno
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoMotorShieldR3
(Arduinos are cheapest on eBay.)

Last edited:

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Yes valid point Steve, the problem with writing code is when he wants to change the timings and no one can help him. Where as if it's just changing some values then he might be able to do it himself. Not everyone can write software or have the ability to program a micro, I was thinking of future proofing it. But as you say the timings needed maybe too complex to do in hardware alone.
Adam

Old Steve

Jul 23, 2015
Yes valid point Steve, the problem with writing code is when he wants to change the timings and no one can help him. Where as if it's just changing some values then he might be able to do it himself. Not everyone can write software or have the ability to program a micro, I was thinking of future proofing it. But as you say the timings needed maybe too complex to do in hardware alone.
Adam
I've been thinking about future upgrades - if Weaver was to buy two Arduinos, one to stay in the box, and a second one for uploading the program, a new program could be emailed to him (or the fisherman) for uploading. Saves either taking the first one back out of the box, or providing an external USB connection on the box. Just the chip needs to be removed, then re-fitted.

Even if the original author of the program wasn't available, between these forums and the Arduino forums, someone else could easily be found to modify the code.

Even better, all relevant timing intervals could be listed at the beginning of the code as constants, clearly marked, so that even Weaver could make the changes himself then upload the modifed program to the chip and re-install it.
(Thinking on-the-fly here.)
In case you haven't used one, the Arduino IDE itself uploads the program to the board. No need for an external programmer.

Edit: And using the Arduino and Arduino motor shield, almost no external components are needed. A switch for power, a pushbutton, maybe a pot for speed.
A problem with either method, discretes or a micro, could arise if there was a power cut during operation though. Probably easiest to work around that with a micro/Arduino too, though.

Last edited:

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Hi Steve yes I have several Arduino PCBs but I prefer the Chip-Kit Uno32 which uses a 32 bit microchip micro. You could use the A/D channels to set the on and off times and with a simple POT and change the timings yourself.... that would be the way to go I think.
Adam

Old Steve

Jul 23, 2015
Hi Steve yes I have several Arduino PCBs but I prefer the Chip-Kit Uno32 which uses a 32 bit microchip micro. You could use the A/D channels to set the on and off times and with a simple POT and change the timings yourself.... that would be the way to go I think.
Adam
A couple of pots maybe - one for the in-out delays, and one for the 'wind-out' delay. And a manual 'rewind' button, to pull the line in to it's start position, both as a reset in the event of an interruption to the power during operation, and when fish are caught or fishing is finished. On the wind-in, either a limit-switch could be used to detect when all of the line is in, or, if something is attached to the outer end of the line that 'catches' when the line is fully withdrawn, motor-current sensing when the motor stalls could achieve the same thing. The Arduino motor shield is set up for motor-current sensing.
We've almost designed the whole thing already. :D
(And PICS are my usual weapon-of-choice too. That's why I first suggested the whole micro/compiler/programmer thing. I haven't got used to the idea of the Arduino yet. Getting to like them more, though, since I learned that the Arduino IDE happily accepts standard C or C++ as well as the Arduino language.)

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
The only thing you have not designed yet is the experienced fisherman will know when to change technique.
Going from a small smooth 'yo-yo' pattern to erratic lifts and drops of the rod.
I know a really good designer who could do just that!! With a 555 timer. He loves them. @Arouse1973

Martin

Old Steve

Jul 23, 2015
The only thing you have not designed yet is the experienced fisherman will know when to change technique.
Going from a small smooth 'yo-yo' pattern to erratic lifts and drops of the rod.
I know a really good designer who could do just that!! With a 555 timer. He loves them. @Arouse1973

Martin
But that's not what was asked for.
Multiple timings would be easy, if it was asked for. (Pushbutton to select the pattern.)
And one 555? I'd like to see that. :rolleyes:

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
But that's not what was asked for.
Multiple timings would be easy, if it was asked for. (Pushbutton to select the pattern.)
And one 555? I'd like to see that. :rolleyes:

Well I guess predetermined could mean anything, determined the night before, the day before or on the fly.
Adam

Old Steve

Jul 23, 2015
Well I guess predetermined could mean anything, determined the night before, the day before or on the fly.
Adam
That's why I mentioned a pot for 'wind-out' delay in post #13. The in-outs, (jiggles?), were only listed as 2 seconds each way, but the second pot I mentioned in the same post could also adjust them.
I only mentioned 'multiple-timings', pushbutton operated, in post 15 for fancier patterns. Dunno what type. Edit: Generally, in operation, it would only automatically wind right out then jiggle, with a press of the pushbutton needed to wind right back in. Weaver could verify if that's the sort of operation he wants. (Or not.)
Actually, yeah, it wants 3 timings - period to 'wind out' initially, period of the short (~2s) 'jiggles', period to 'wind part-way in then back out', all automatic, then finally the manual 'wind all the way in'.

Last edited:

Old Steve

Jul 23, 2015
True!! But jigging is just that. It's technique too.
Not that I know anything about fishing only phishing..

Martin
If it was called for, then it could be added. Again, that's up to Weaver and the fisherman, not us.
They provide the spec, we design it. (All for free, too, here.)