Maker Pro
Maker Pro

beginning electronics

Gadoken

Apr 8, 2010
Hello,

I am interested in learning electronics and found some posts with a few links to tutorials, terminology, etc on here. I was wondering though if a kit like the following is something someone would recommend for getting hands on. I am very interested in radio but would like to have a general knowledge of electronics before I dive in.. Anyways, I would appreciate some input and thank you..

Elenco MX909 500 in 1 Electronics Learning Lab

55pilot

Feb 23, 2010
Some further background about you would help narrow down the recommendation. Are you an adult or teenager? What is your relevant background? Where in the world are you located?

---55p

Gadoken

Apr 8, 2010
I'm 31 from Ohio with absolutely no experience with electronics except for some programming experience which I later found I don't enjoy.

Gadoken

Apr 8, 2010
Is anyone familiar with these lab/kits? Will I actually learn electronics or will I just be completing the projects with no real understanding of what is going on?

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
That will depend on yourself. In the beginning you won't understand every aspect of a project but eventually you will. It takes time, interest, determination & patience.
The three customer reviews over at amazon are quite helpful in describing the kit.

gholamghar

Apr 10, 2010
Kits are good but some basic electronics book that can be found in every local library is a good source for finding out what is really going on in a circuit,so my recommendation is :Kits+simple electronics books(not heavy references)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Many many years ago I had a couple of those sort of kits. You can use them in a way that you don't learn, and you can use them in a way that you do.

Unfortunately the ones I had were very light on with explanations of how the circuits worked.

I eventually gained a lot more insight from electronics magazines (of which there were many at the time) which tended to have detailed explanations of the circuits.

In hindsight, spending more effort with the kits I had could have been very productive.