Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Behringer B1520 PRO Crossover / Coil inductance

barbocz55

Jun 16, 2018
Hello everyone!

I have a huge issue here, which is that I have a pair of Behringer B1520 PRO speakers and their crossovers are not the best... basically the worst nightmare for me at the moment.

When I bought them, there was no issue at all. Then one of the high-frequency drivers started distorting. I checked the crossover, it was the issue. I decided to buy a couple of capacitors to replace all of them in both crossovers. So far so good. Bought them, installed them. I wanted to change the resistors as well, since one of them gave in and the lead broke out of the ceramic resistor. Replacement done. After that, everything was fine/awesome. I tried the speakers, they were working.

After leaving it for a while, I decided to listen to some music. Here, the other speaker had some (a lot) distortion at the mid-bass frequencies. I am sure that I did everything good, so I guess that one of the coils is faulty. I want to change all of them because these are old etc. There are "better" ones.

Could you please help me on what the values of those exact coils are or on how to measure them the easiest way? Unfortunately, I have basically nothing, except a multimeter.

I tried googling it to no avail.

Thank you for advance guys. I am getting desperate here.

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
Without appropriate test kit it will be impossible to measure crossover components. You could try Behringer to see if they will divulge the info you want but I doubt they will. Failing that, armed with the crossover frequency you could try designing your own Xovers and acquire the parts and build you own. Have you checked the solder joints for the Xover components?
If the sound is terrible, have they been used at very high power for a long time which could damage the drivers by causing the voice coils to be off centre. This can sound horrible.

barbocz55

Jun 16, 2018
Behringer told me they would not disclose such information because they would not like to encourage people to do this by themselves due to safety hazards.

The solder points are as good as new unfortunately. I would like to correct this one, since I bought the parts already, but I am thinking about it by now as well. Only problem there is that I would not like to make a crappy crossover or screw up the resistances etc. The online crossover designer softwares only show that you need X condenser and Y coils, no protection and no impedance equators there.

The speakers have been used for shorter periods (10-15 mins) which I know might be an issue, but I hope that the speakers are working (at least them). I will update on this post once I had time to check the Xover thoroughly.

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
Building crossovers is not as terrifying as it might sound. In fact with the right information for choke and capacitor values, it is quite straight forward.
Once armed with the speaker impedance and the crossover frequency it takes just a few minutes to come up with a mathematically correct crossover.
Have a look at the drive units to determine who the manufacturers are.

Wannes

Jun 6, 2019
Hello
Y am from Belgium sorry for my english but y want to ask how have you connect the cable from your crossover the red on the positive from tweeter and the yellow on positive from woofer is this correct or bin y wrong.

Thanks