Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Bell 9241 capacitor replacement

bluegirl

Jan 14, 2022
Hi all,
I'm just entering the electronics foray because my PVR stopped booting up. Watched a good video on my problem & I found that I too, had a bunch of blown capacitors. I replaced them all, but I had a heck of a time removing C152 on the board. It seems quite black & some of the solder I cannot remove with a wick or a pump. I replaced this on x2 and before the 2nd attempt, the machine would at least go thru the motions on trying to get the signal, but now it won't even go past the 1st stage of the check switch-it did before #2 replacement. Is there any way to bridge that location, or is it maybe also another cap misbehaving. I have to confess that this is my 1st attempt at soldering, so maybe my contacts aren't good enough. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• PCB pic.jpg
    PCB pic.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 20

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
You cannot bridge the C152 connection. You will cause a short circuit and probably damage more components.
C117 and C118 look like they are shorting with solder between the two.
If solder won’t melt, try adding leaded solder to it first. Also use flux. Even put flux on your wick for good measure.
However, sometimes it seems impossible to de-solder and may only require more heat from a higher wattage soldering iron.
My advice would be to remove what you have done, clean up properly and practice soldering on something else first. Then try again with this unit.

Martin

bluegirl

Jan 14, 2022
Thank you Martin. Here is a photo of C152 without the capacitor. I think the green coating is removed from the board in this location. Is this possible & is this cause for an incomplete connection? My iron is 30V, I would need to buy another iron with a higher wattage. I tried a new capacitor in this location and it did not help at all. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1342.jpg
    IMG_1342.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 10

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
That looks ‘slightly’ damaged!.
Have a scrape of the area to try and clean it plus expose the copper tracks.
First, check there is no short circuit between the + and - where the cap was.
If the copper traces or pads are damaged, keep scraping until you get to clean copper traces. You’ll have to then run some small jumpers back to the cap. If you have no solder mask, you can use nail varnish at a push to cover newly exposed areas.

Martin