Maker Pro
Maker Pro

bending leads on IR transmitter,is it bad?

CABBAGE

Nov 17, 2018
My question is about the leads on a infrared led. While looking at a data sheet to learn more about them I noticed a section that showed the "proper" way to bend them when they're mounted. Now I get that sure, but what about when they're used on a breadboard? I bend the heck out of them, maybe that's why a can't get a infrared circuit to work with a TS XXX38 receiver. After some homework here I think it's because I'm not using the 555 timer in astable mode, could be wrong still doing homework. Any thought on the issue with the leads, could this be a problem? Thanks in advance for answering my greenhorn questions. C

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I bend the heck out of them, maybe that's why a can't get a infrared circuit to work with a TS XXX38 receiver.
Unless the leads are not broken, bending is usually no cause for alarm. The datasheet warns you because the leads can break when bent too often or too sharply. This is the manufacturer's insurance against any claims that could result from improper handling.
You can always check the correct function of the IR LEDs by measuring it as a diode:
- no current flow in reverse direction
- current flow in forward direction with a voltage drop approx. 1.5 V
If your measurements confirm these numbers, the LED is o.k.

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
You can often throw a red LED into the circuit in place of the infrared so you can visually see that it's lighting (circuit doing at least that much).

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Most infra-red LEDs emit at wavelengths that your cell phone camera can "see," even through its infrared-suppressing filter (because the LED is sooo bright!). This works for most "pocket cameras" too. Try it and let us know what you find.

With regard to lead bending, look closely at the structure the LED is mounted to. This is cast in place with the plastic surrounding the LED, but it is not invulnerable if you try too aggressively to tug on it. It is possible for the support structure to detach itself from the plastic it is embedded in and in the process sever the tiny wire bond between the LED and the support structure. As @Harald Kapp suggested, measure the forward voltage and reverse resistance before discarding the LED. Or try my infrared camera method to see if it is still working.:D