Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Best IC Assortment, both Linear and Logic.

John R Retired

Mar 13, 2022
Which ICs (identification numbers & group) in an assortment box (Amazon, Ebay etc)
would be adequate enough to cover most applications for comprehensive useage for learning and hobbyist about ICs?

Last edited:

Nanren888

Nov 8, 2015
Which way will you go first? Are you into analog or digital, discrete or processors, RF, audio or power?
Maybe search for some tuorials or schematics of circuits you'd like to make & they will give you an idea of the types that appeal first.

John R Retired

Mar 13, 2022
I was just asking for some opinions on general assorted boxes of ICs, from a parts distributor that would be adequate for what I described, both logic and linear....."general assortment" are the key words.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
99% of those types that eBay offer will remain in the box 'for ever'. Avoid.

You can learn a lot from 'any' IC that is associated with task you wish to perform if you get the datasheet for it and learn its capabilities and limitations.

Take the uniquitous NE555 (commonly called the plain old '555') - it's been used for a gazillion projects and is perhaps one of the most used analogue devices in any experimenters box. There are too many op-amps to make a single recommendation but Google 'common op-amp' and then - as ever - download the datasheet.

Not enough mention is made of these valuable resources (the datasheets) and you can understand everything about any device by reading the datasheet BEFORE buying the device.

I spent 'years' gathering components from all sources - beginning by removing parts from old circuit boards. Those days are long gone as everything is microscopic surface mount but through hole parts (as they are known) are still readily available, though for how long is anyones guess.

A few 555's, a few op-amps, a few comparators, NPN and PNP transistors, a selection of diodes, resistors and capacitors and you can get going - if you go the digital route then pen and paper (or simulator software) would be better, thereafter buy the bits you need to actually make the circuit to see if your theory meets practise.

After keeping a workshop 'full' of parts (which I'm still loathed to part with) I would much rather have just bought the devices I needed as ordering/delivery is almost 'next day' and the costs are minimal.

John R Retired

Mar 13, 2022
I know about the 555s.

Surface mounts, I know what you are saying, as I described my experience with that fiasco....one sneeze and they are lost.

I have plenty of other components including transistors, but not inductors.

So you are saying there is not just a general kit or bagged assortment to buy, that checks most boxes for linear and logic chips?
You are saying I have to go over Data sheets in detail for every IC? Seems like someone would have put together an assortment of the most popular and used ICS to sell.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Seems like someone would have put together an assortment of the most popular and used ICS to sell.
Yes, there are some out there that offer kits that they think are the right ones for you but it doesn't count for individuality. By all means find/buy one but don't expect to not be ordering more specific/individual parts shortly thereafter!

Here's a typical kit https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142502955445?hash=item212dd689b5:g:JvcAAOSw67lZtQ0u

You can cover most of the bases yourself by getting packs of 'standard parts' (like an E24 resistor kit, E6 electrolytic capacitor kit etc) but your semiconductors requirement can vary a LOT depending on your target.

Resistor kit: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304369300872?hash=item46ddd2f588:g:X0gAAOSwkLJiFaQo
Capacitor kit: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255400507331?hash=item3b770e77c3:g:BD8AAOSwBE1iFZ~n

That's not to get away from the fact that you will most likely use the 555, LEDs etc that are offered in kits (as per the one above) but it has its limitations, as you will discover.

By all means get the kit (above) or one like it (with the breadboard etc) as a starting point.

John R Retired

Mar 13, 2022
Thanks..

Do you have "Amazon" in Scotland? Have you seen their IC kits?
Not promoting Amazon just wonder if you had looked at those kits.

John R Retired

Mar 13, 2022

danadak

Feb 19, 2021
There is an alternative way of addressing this, to use a SOC as your key
component. Can be used codeless to extensive code depending on what
you are doing.

Here is whats onchip, everything from simple gates to complex state machines.
Analog as well. OpAmps, Comparators, Vref, DACs, A/D, Muxes.....And its routable,
think like its a breadboard.

So you drag and drop components (in SOC lingo a component is an onchip resource),
dbl click them, config them, like size of counter, or number inputs, of clock speed.....,
route them with a wire tool, to each other and/or pins. For simple gate level stuff
no code, more complex stuff you start coding.

Not only that when you get experienced enough you can design your own onchip
components. Using schematic capture and or Verilog.

Here is whats onchip, multiple copies of many of these components in the chip -

pic attached.

Regards, Dana.

Attachments

• PSOC Components 1.jpg
    PSOC Components 1.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 4

ivak245

Jun 11, 2021
How I started- a handful of 555's (maybe a couple of 556's), some 741's, a couple of 386's, and some of the often used (but maybe not so much nowadays ) 74(TTL)& 40(CMOS) series logic gates . Many years ago the electronics stores would have "grab bags" of components for a couple of bucks, but 90% of the stuff never got used. Some of those "assortments" are a good way of getting rid of slow moving lines.

danadak

Feb 19, 2021
An alternative is to use Arduino with Block Programming language.

Here is a simple example of what it took to create a V to pulse width
converter, like a brightness control for an LED.

upload_2022-4-23_6-11-35.png

The blocks on right dragged out of left vertical grouping of blocks, pins defined, and
then the tool, mBlock generates Arduino code for you. Basically reads the V on a pin
and then sets a PWM duty cycle/pulse width to control things like LED and its brightness.

A more capable sophisticated timer of events, but still simple block programming -

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/articles/pulse-sequence-generator-smart-timer.938/

You use an Arduino Nano or UNO board or ATTINY85 part (you program them with one
of these ARDUINO boards). Think of a micro as a big bag of logic chips that you manipulate
by programming. Huge user base/forums/videos from simple stuff to pretty complex.

Here is an example of a talking voltmeter, again using a different block programming language.

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/talking-arduino-daq.161658/

Regards, Dana.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
But do you have indoor plumbing and modern bathrooms ?

Well, that's a bit of a stretch but......:D

They are both good enough in terms of value for money but of the first listing you'd probably only use three or four of the devices in it for many a month. As for the logic kit, that's pretty difficult to assess given I have no idea what you'd do with it! It covers quite a few of the usual bases but for 'me' I'd not use over half of them - and that's after a few decades of 'playing'. If you want to experiment with how gates work etc then it's another good value package.