Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Best Ideas for a DC Powered Motor Rod Rotator

maxtmon

Apr 2, 2017
Hey Group,

I'm looking to build a simple setup that will rotate a rod or arm as it holds an item for drying. A Google search using the terms "fishing rod dryer" will give a basic idea of what I'm needing, but the project is not for fishing rods or lures. The setup would require a low torque motor with a speed controller that turns relatively slow. the speed would be no faster than a turntable for displaying items or a phonograph. I have a rough up built of the frame; just needing to add a motor assembly. I can add further info via photos and sketches.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Welcome to EP!
I was going to suggest the turntable drive from an old microwave cooker, but just noticed you specified DC-powered. Geared DC motors are available.

maxtmon

Apr 2, 2017
Thanks for the replies. I've had time to gather a few more details.

The intent of this project is shown in the YouTube video link.

Research will show several other options, most builds are for multiple cup holders.
However, I'd rather have an individual stand, that is sturdy (heavy base to counter the rotation and weight of the cups), and economical.

Attached are the photos of my mock up and a limited sketch.
File_000.jpeg File_001.jpeg

As for the motor, I'd think a battery powered would be best as no cords in the way. Size and torque still to be determined. Also the battery consumption required to turn a stainless mug (ie Yeti, RTIC, Ozark) for up to 24 hours non stop. I'd also like to have a speed control knob for the RPM; as for max speed, I'm not sure how to determine. The purpose is to keep the mug rotating as an epoxy coat dries. The rotation keeps the coat uniform and smooth until it dries.

Sources for the motor could range from old CD/DVD drives, phonographs, microwave turntables, or EBay finds. The overall intent is to have as few components/hardware in the build. Its possible that some of the parts could be built into the base of the stand.

I don't mind any suggestions to improve the plans. In fact once the basic plans are made, I'd like to add an Arduino with features of a built in timer, humidity, and temp.

Thanks for any assistance

maxtmon

Apr 2, 2017
Welcome to EP!
I was going to suggest the turntable drive from an old microwave cooker, but just noticed you specified DC-powered. Geared DC motors are available.

That's not a hard requirement, but was thinking to keep cords out of the way. However, the intent of the build may not support batteries as a viable option.