Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Best Low-Budget Printer?

Inception

Jul 30, 2014
I am looking for a low-budget (Under 60-70$) printer, what would be best for the price?
Edit: I realize I'm not too clear on what I need, I need a printer that would be at the very least reliable, and would print well in BLACK AND WHITE, I have no need for color.

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
I am looking for a low-budget (Under 60-70$) printer, what would be best for the price?
Edit: I realize I'm not too clear on what I need, I need a printer that would be at the very least reliable, and would print well in BLACK AND WHITE, I have no need for color.
For just general printing needs, assuming text, many HP Inkjet fall into this category and can be hand via craig's list in the us, ebay may be an option, but shipping could be prohibitive. I have a Deskjet 5150 that I have had for over a decade and it works flawlessly despite its age. Similar experience with a much older inkjet that I had for over 20 years... These units last and are relatively easy to find.

When you ask what would be best for the price, do you already have some options?

Inception

Jul 30, 2014
For just general printing needs, assuming text, many HP Inkjet fall into this category and can be hand via craig's list in the us, ebay may be an option, but shipping could be prohibitive. I have a Deskjet 5150 that I have had for over a decade and it works flawlessly despite its age. Similar experience with a much older inkjet that I had for over 20 years... These units last and are relatively easy to find.

When you ask what would be best for the price, do you already have some options?
I have owned several low-budget and high-budget printers before and they all seem to go out on me even with good treatment, I guess I've been looking in the wrong place, but an HP Deskjet(Any specific model you'd like to recommend?) seems to fit my criteria, and yes, my general need would be text as I am a writer.
Edit: There is one other detail I neglected to mention, and that is that I require a printer with wireless functionality.

Last edited:

shumifan50

Jan 16, 2014
Inkjets are not reliable by design. They are made cheap and cheerful as the money is made on the ink cartridges. I have had a second hand HP Lasterjet 4000n for many years without any breakdowns and the quality is as they day the office threw it out and I salvaged it. I had a quick look on ebay and they can be had for less than £50. Thereafter the printing cost is very low compared to an inkhet. So I would recommend a second hand laser over a new inkjet every time. Just check that the drum does not need replacement as they are quite expensive.

Inception

Jul 30, 2014
Inkjets are not reliable by design. They are made cheap and cheerful as the money is made on the ink cartridges. I have had a second hand HP Lasterjet 4000n for many years without any breakdowns and the quality is as they day the office threw it out and I salvaged it. I had a quick look on ebay and they can be had for less than £50. Thereafter the printing cost is very low compared to an inkhet. So I would recommend a second hand laser over a new inkjet every time. Just check that the drum does not need replacement as they are quite expensive.
The HP LaserJet Pro P1102w is the cheapest I can find, I'm fishing around on eBay right now for a decent and believable price, I'd just like to confirm that this model would be reliable, it seems compact enough to fit on/in my desk (If it does not I always have a place to put it) so I may lean towards it but I am open to suggestions.

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
I guess it depends on page output, I have had inkjets work reliably for me for many, many years. Now that school is behind me I dont print as much. I can tell you that I have had the same ink cartridge in this machine for about a year. I have never had a cartridge dry up either. Laser printers are even better so long as the expensive parts are in working order, fuser, drum, etc. Nice thing with laser is no risk of smudging ;-) Happy hunting.

p.s. - on some (if not all) laserjet's by HP there is a way to print the page count report - its somewhere in the toolbox under settings, should be something like a configuration page or page report. Might be wise to have the seller print one out and send you the image.

Inception

Jul 30, 2014
I guess it depends on page output, I have had inkjets work reliably for me for many, many years. Now that school is behind me I dont print as much. I can tell you that I have had the same ink cartridge in this machine for about a year. I have never had a cartridge dry up either. Laser printers are even better so long as the expensive parts are in working order, fuser, drum, etc. Nice thing with laser is no risk of smudging ;-) Happy hunting.

p.s. - on some (if not all) laserjet's by HP there is a way to print the page count report - its somewhere in the toolbox under settings, should be something like a configuration page or page report. Might be wise to have the seller print one out and send you the image.
Mmkay, excuse me but I don't know too much about printers and such (I usually don't think about it when I am using a printer) but I think I can ask the seller to do that.

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
Mmkay, excuse me but I don't know too much about printers and such (I usually don't think about it when I am using a printer) but I think I can ask the seller to do that.

Take it for what its worth, if the machine has say 250k or more pages run through it - its probably due for a rebuild.

Out of curiosity, what do you write?

Last edited:

Inception

Jul 30, 2014
Take it for what its worth, if the machine has say 250k or more pages run through it - its probably due for a rebuild.

Out of curiosity, what do you write?
Science fiction and fantasy. I've been told that most of my work is a good read.

Inception

Jul 30, 2014
Anything published yet? Can you provide a link? Both genres are my fav's :)
Well, nothing "publish" published as I haven't actually requested yet, but a few of the things my girlfriend and I favor can be found on her Quotev profile, I will warn you though, some of the reads can get very explicit.

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
Thanks for the warning, not much for the romance novels ;-)

Inception

Jul 30, 2014
Thanks for the warning, not much for the romance novels ;-)
Ahah, well most of that is my girlfriend's work, I just finish it up for her. I'm not too big on romance myself.
Edit: Writing has been the "family business" for a while now (For the men at least), I don't know what it is but we've all got what my dad called a "silver pen in our hands". ;-)

shumifan50

Jan 16, 2014
If you update your location people can provide more relevant suggestions.