Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Best Mobile Processor to Use?

The Didact

May 17, 2015
Hi,
I posted a little while back about a project I was trying to do (a mobile computer that could run full Linux in a package roughly 2"x2". I need to know which mobile processors are good for this type of project and where I could buy them.

I'm going for an approach similar to SolidRun's Cubox-i series.

> http://www.solid-run.com/products/cubox-i-mini-computer/ <

It just needs to fit (without the developers board, if applicable) in a rough 2" by 2" cube space along with the other internal parts, and run off 3.3-5V if possible. I've looked at Snapdragon's developer boards, but... :confused:

Thanks in advance,

Carter (AKA the Didact)

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Hi,
I posted a little while back about a project I was trying to do (a mobile computer that could run full Linux in a package roughly 2"x2". I need to know which mobile processors are good for this type of project and where I could buy them.

I'm going for an approach similar to SolidRun's Cubox-i series.

> http://www.solid-run.com/products/cubox-i-mini-computer/ <

It just needs to fit (without the developers board, if applicable) in a rough 2" by 2" cube space along with the other internal parts, and run off 3.3-5V if possible. I've looked at Snapdragon's developer boards, but... :confused:

Thanks in advance,

Carter (AKA the Didact)
Perhaps you should look at 'SoC' instead.
The RasPi and Beaglebone use them for example. Along with very few support modules they can make a pretty small system and run linux. If you after an X86 build that's a bit of a different story.

The Didact

May 17, 2015
Thanks, Gryd13. Sorry if I sound like a n00b, I'm still relatively new at this.

I've heard of SoCs, and I'll check 'em out.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Thanks, Gryd13. Sorry if I sound like a n00b, I'm still relatively new at this.

I've heard of SoCs, and I'll check 'em out.
No worries. I have not actually done any work regarding the hardware directly by itself. It begins to be a little advanced to lay a board out to use it... That said, looking into preexisting products using it should give you another venue to follow.

The Didact

May 17, 2015
Yep. I've looked into the RasPi's compute module, but the proccessing power seems a bit, well, slow for me. Plus you'd have to design custom slots to enclose it...

I've seen Snapdragon's producer experimental boards, I'll look into those.