Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Best Motor Option for an Arduino Controlled trolley

sforsandeep

Oct 1, 2021
I am trying to build a motorised trolley which supports a payload of 130-150 kg. Expected to move mostly in flat surface and in worst case a 15 degree slopes. I am really stucked with choosing the motor or do we required to use any pulley and belt mechanism. Please share your thoughts.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
When you are trying to calculate how much power is required, time comes into the calculation.
For example, your 150kg weight going up and incline of 15 degrees, one needs to know how far to calculate the work required.
When you have to do that work in a certain time, then there is the power requirement.
Say you had a week to move the load, then the power would be a small fraction of what would be required to do the same work in say 2 seconds.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
If only running at relatively low speeds, use of gearing will make the motor sizing and drive will usually result in lower costs.
e.g. Obtain a suitable motor/gearbox combo.

sforsandeep

Oct 1, 2021
@Bluejets Thanks a lot for the update. Actually I am expecting a maximum speed upto 8km/hr. Just above normal walking speed. but ofcourse we can slowdown from the maximum.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Actually I am expecting a maximum speed upto 8km/hr
You are going to have to work ork a LOT more in relation to your trolley.
For example, wheel size ......bearing type (is it ball bearing or just wooden wheels with a wood axle ..ie. heaps of friction)
Hard as opposed to soft tyres.
Can the trolley be moved by an external winch for example or does it need to be self contained.
Is the 8klm/hr average speed or does it need to be instantaneous.
As Minder says, you will need some type of gearmotor but your specs are just too broad to get any specific reply.
Maybe the suck it and see approach would suit you better.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
To get you in the ballpark: Here in Germany a typical electric bike with a motor of max. 250 W is good for 25 km/h (legal limit) carrying a 100 kg person. Break this down to 8 km/h and your motor has to supply ~80 W. Possibly less as the 25 km/h speed limit is electronically enforced (motor is shut off above that speed), but the motor could possibly power the bike up to > 30 km/h. So a 50 W motor may be entirely sufficient.