Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Best ULN2003 Battery Pack(s)

NoviceNick

Nov 16, 2017
I am comp-sci guy trying to learn electronics so forgive me if my question is lame and uneducated.
I 3d printed a tower from my daughters favorite tv show and have built a working elevator in it using a 5v stepper, a uln2003 driver, and an arduino uno. It works seemingly well when both the driver and the arduino are powered by USB, but I'm ready to move from the USB to a rechargeable battery pack of some variety so she won't have to keep it pugged in at all times. I'm looking for something light so lead acid is probably out. I was thinking maybe like a 7.4v lipo battery.

1.) Would the uln2003+5v stepper work when hooked up to a battery pack like this? I think the one I was looking at was like 1.5A current.

2.) Can I power the UNO and the driver from the same battery pack or would it be wise to separate them on different battery packs?

3.) Is there a better rechargable battery or power choice for this type of application?

The elevator will get a lot of play, but doubtfully run for very long at a time. Safety is number one of course and since I'm using this mostly as a learning project I want to learn how to do things the right way. Thanks for any help you can provide!

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Use a 5V power bank. It already had the USB port an provision for charging, and you can buy it for less than the batteries alone.

Bob

NoviceNick

Nov 16, 2017
Use a 5V power bank. It already had the USB port an provision for charging, and you can buy it for less than the batteries alone.

Bob

Is there any reason the uno and the driver shouldn't share the same power bank as long as it supports two USB outputs?

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
They can share it even if there is only 1 USB output, as long as the combined current is less than the port is rated for.

Bob