Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Best Way to Splice a Wire?

Zarich12

Jun 7, 2016
I am working on a toy an need to splice in some 22 gage wire. What is the best splicing technique for this job and what type of solder do I use? Specificly whether or not it is rosin core and what melting point the solder needs to have. This is a super basic job. It does not have to come up to military standards, just work properly.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
pretty much all solder on reels these days for standard electronics is rosin cored, just check the label

just twist the 2 bared ends of the 2 separate wired together and then solder them

Zarich12

Jun 7, 2016
I've seen several methods of twisting the wires together. What is the best way? Also, will it work jsut as good to use flux and solder? If so, are the types of flux specific to teh job?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I've seen several methods of twisting the wires together

any ol' twisting will do, it's just for a little mechanical strength

Also, will it work jsut as good to use flux and solder? If so, are the types of flux specific to teh job?

used rosin cored solder, the other way is just too messy and as I said b4, cored solder is the electronics standard

Dave

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Rosin cored solder should be used. No NOT use plumbers flux, this is often acidic which will corrode the wire in time. I have an antique tin of Fluxite to be used in difficult cases and a jar of LA-CO fux paste which seems to be sumewhat more effective. The makers will not tell me if it can be safely used on electronic equipment. Extra flux is only necessary if the connection is not clean, clean with emery cloth if necessary and do not touch with your sticky fingers.

The easiest solder to use is 60% tin, 40% lead. Old plumbers solder is 60% lead, 40% tin so do not get these mixed up.

Lead in solder is now discouraged and banned in water pipes but a little bit of lead in the odd solder joint is not likely to harm the environmnt greatly.

I keep my solder reel in a plastic bag with the solder wire poking out. This stops sweat corroding the solder and protects me from the lead. Wash hands after soldering.

Zarich12

Jun 7, 2016
Thanks for all the help. With your advice and a little research, I succesfully fixed the rc plane. I used lead free solder and lead free tinning flux to get the job done. I had it laying around and I figured I'd give it a try. However, I belive that my flux was slightly acidic due to the fact that my ph paper turned red. Thanks again.