Maker Pro
Maker Pro

best wire for soldering, and do components have to breathe?

CABBAGE

Nov 17, 2018
Two part question here, first: can someone suggest what the best type of wire(more specifically insulation) is best to use when soldering? I'm just a hobbyist with electronics and I'm using bell wire to solder on to solderable breadboards and PCB's and the insulation just can't stand the heat. I need a 20-28 gauge wire with better heat resistance and I can't find it commercially available near me, open to suggestions or retailers/suppliers
Second: do components need to breathe? I know it sounds weird but just wondering if a simple led flasher or fading circuit can be completely immersed in a resin cast and allowed to dry would it work, do they need to breathe??? just wondering..

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The best type of insulation to be used when soldering is NO insulation. You must remove it in order to solder the wire.

Components do not breathe. Some require airflow (for example airflow sensors or gas detectors) and others require cooling which (on terrestrial applications at least, normally results in the excess heat being transferred to the atmosphere.

Other than requirements like that, most components could be used unchanged in a vacuum.