Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Bicycle motion sensor alarm

kruzhd

Oct 21, 2013
Hi guys,
hi guys

i am currently doing a school project and i have came up with the idea to create an alarm that sounds when detects motion, this can be attached to any part of the bicycle.

The alarm has to be rugged and the casing has to be waterproof to ensure the components dont get destroyed. I am thinking AA or AAA power supply.

so far this is what i think i need to make the project work

Power supply
motion sensor (tilt/mercury switch maybe?)
motherboard ??
sounder (100+ dB)
casing
wires

i dont have alot of knowledge in electronics components, i am a computer geek though.
it would be awsome if somebody helped me pick the right components to make this work.

Last edited by a moderator:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Perhaps you could consider a vibration sensor?

It's homework, so we're not going to do it for you.

kruzhd

Oct 21, 2013
Perhaps you could consider a vibration sensor?

It's homework, so we're not going to do it for you.

i dont want anybody to do my homework for me, its a project and i am asking those with greater knowledge on what components i should consider to make this work.

any suggestions?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
any suggestions?

Start with options for the sensor.

Until you figure out what sort of sensor you'll be using (or at least have narrowed down your options) you can't do much else.

I guess you could also choose a sounder, but that might force a decision on your power supply. It may be best to leave this until you know what voltage is likely to be used and look at options in that voltage range.

foTONICS

Sep 30, 2011
if you're looking for something really sensitive you can look at an IMU, although if you're just starting out it may be beyond your reach (programming and the like)

here's a link: https://www.sparkfun.com/categories/160

I'm sure you can find other cheap/simpler options somewhere else, I just copy pasted the first link google gave me

foTONICS

Sep 30, 2011
I think I would do away with the tilt/mercury switch. if a thief picked the bike straight up and was careful the alarm would never go off

on a side note: I would run any cabling through the frame of the bike and hide any components so as not to be snipped