Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Biefeld-Brown effect (high voltage 'flying' discs?

FuZZ1L0G1C

Mar 25, 2014
This may belong in the Woo-Woo category, as I'm not entirely sure that the experiment was real or a clever hoax.
While paging through some older paperwork, I came across this photo-copied article from Omni magazine, several decades old, describing an experiment supposedly performed at a University, involving high a voltage wire attached to a lightweight metal disc.
The article claimed that the researchers were able to "fly" the disc in a continuous circular arc around the sealed room, using the Biefield-Brown effect (basically, capacitive thrust from an asymmetrically charged device).
Curious I looked this up on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biefeld–Brown_effect
where opinions range from disbelief to maybe.
Is this a feasible concept in practice, as in the vacuum of deep space, or just pie-in-the-sky theory?

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I recall seeing something similar a decade or so ago. In a lab ‘scientists’ had a metal disc with a vertical multi strand twisted wire through it. The disc shot up real fast. I think they called it magnetic propulsion. If I am correct, the ‘scientists’ were ‘proving’ that we nearly have the technology to develop ‘flying saucers’ and visit our interstellar neighbours!.
So, not so much ‘woo woo’ , just believe it if you want!.

Martin

Hopup

Jul 5, 2015
It is certainly real technology but the voltages needed are very high ( hundredths of thousands to millions of volts) in order to produce interesting and practical results.

russwr

Dec 20, 2019
This may belong in the Woo-Woo category, as I'm not entirely sure that the experiment was real or a clever hoax.
While paging through some older paperwork, I came across this photo-copied article from Omni magazine, several decades old, describing an experiment supposedly performed at a University, involving high a voltage wire attached to a lightweight metal disc.
The article claimed that the researchers were able to "fly" the disc in a continuous circular arc around the sealed room, using the Biefield-Brown effect (basically, capacitive thrust from an asymmetrically charged device).
Curious I looked this up on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biefeld–Brown_effect
where opinions range from disbelief to maybe.
Is this a feasible concept in practice, as in the vacuum of deep space, or just pie-in-the-sky theory?

russwr

Dec 20, 2019
The effect demonstration was originally done in open air , inside building. later, the visitors were rescheduled to see it again inside plastic large containment area with vacuum pump applied. The metal twirler kept going using corona discharge. (That's why you can't hear the overhead UFOs, they have high voltage discharge corona pushing away the air - fraction of inch from the craft outer surface. No sound in area of vacuum can get through) Space reentry capsules have hull high volts applied also, to reduce temperature from .friction. The late Mr. Pat Flanagan - of Pyramid Power fame, was earlier awarded $5million from US Government for his invention of space ion drive using high voltage corona. The Searl Effect Generator would produce antigravity , only if the outer rim coils were hooked in series cascade for millions of volts. Prototypes were flown with remote control. Parallel coils produced free energy electricity voltage because of rolling 3 sets of magnets in constant motion.

Last edited: