Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Blown Fuse = No Fuse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riffdex

Oct 15, 2014
I have a few general electronic questions that I was hoping you guys may be able to help me with.

I am trying to repair an airbag computer in my car. The airbag light icon on the dashboard is flashing a code of 5 1. After some research I discovered that means the main thermal fuse of the airbag computer circuit board has blown.

To check this theory, I took out the airbag computer to examine the circuit board and I used my volt meter to test the thermal fuse. The reading told me that the fuse was indeed blown. I wanted to order online a new fuse to solder in in it's place, so I cut out the blown one (it was resting on a resistor) to examine closely and find the type of fuse.

In the context of an electronic circuit board, is a blown fuse exactly the same as no fuse at all? I mean, did cutting the blown fuse out change anything in the functioning of the device? I was under the impression that either a blown or missing fuse would be the same end result.

The writeup I am following (http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701278739) tells me that when I put in the new fuse, I need to make sure it is touching the resistor. Otherwise it will not work. I don't know much about electronics, but I am interested in learning about the relationship between a fuse that is touching a resistor. Is the fact that there is no fuse there to touch the resistor significant?

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Hi Riffdex and welcome to Electronics Point :)

Discussion of airbag systems probably falls into the "dangerous" category because of the injuries that can be caused if the system fails to deploy when it should, or deploys when it shouldn't.

I have locked this thread until we (the moderators) make a decision on whether to allow it.

Please feel free to ask about anything else!

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
There is surely a reason why the fuse has blown in the first place. Without corrrecting that cause, the airbag control system is very probably not safe.

We (the moderators) wish to warn you that a vehicle airbag system is a critical safety system and working on it yourself is risky. It may also void your insurance and make you legally culpable. Worse than that, it can result in injury or death of yourself or another person or people. We VERY STRONGLY advise you against doing ANYTHING with an airbag system, or any other safety system in a vehicle.

I will leave this thread locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.