Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Board to monitor power to 3 lines and transmit via Bluetooth for a stateful type configuration

Donmccarty

Oct 7, 2017
I’m new to this so please allow me to explain as I understand it.

I’m trying to begin the process of prototyping an idea.
The component I am looking for will monitor 3 analog lines.
Whenever one of the lines receives power, I need a signal sent via Bluetooth to a receiver component.
Whenever a line that had power loses power, I need a different signal sent.

In total, I’m looking for at least 6 signals from the transmitter.
1 - Channel 1 receives power,
2 - channel 1 no longer has power
3 - channel 2 receives power
4 - channel 2 no longer has power
5 - channel 3 receives power
6 - channel 3 no longer has power.

As I’m new to these type of projects, I’m wondering if such a kit exists off the shelf.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
You could implement this with a pair of Arduino microprocessors equipped with Bluetooth shields. Some programming required, but all components are off-the-shelf and readily acquired. The Bluetooth signal would be a frame of data encoded with three bits representing your three channels and the power state (on or off) of each channel. To save power, the transmitting Arduino would only send a frame of Bluetooth data when the state of any of the three frame bits changed.

The above is actually a much simplified explanation. A real implementation would use some sort of error detection and correction protocol because wireless communications links are susceptible to interference and failure caused by environmental issues and constraints. Depending on what the receiver does with the transmitted information, and how serious a garbled reception would be, determines the error detection and correction algorithm.

Donmccarty

Oct 7, 2017
Thank you. This is exactly the info I needed to get started. I will let ok into these boards and the error detection you suggest.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
There is also a LOT of free help available on the web in other forums devoted to Arduino and Bluetooth. Lots of software, or "sketches" as software is called in the Arduinoverse, to get you up and running fast.

I bought a couple of Arduino Uno μPs last year and added Bluetooth carriers made by Seeed Studio. Both of these were purchased off-the-shelf at a local Radio Shack in Dayton, Ohio. The actual Bluetooth transceiver modules were purchased from an on-line vendor. I also purchased a shield that allows me to program (and read) the parameters associated with the Bluetooth modules using my PC. I was all ready to start developing applications but got interrupted by a move to Florida. I am still waiting to restore my "hobby workbench" in a corner of the laundry room of our new Florida home, otherwise I would volunteer to help you "hands on" with this. Feel free to stop in often and ask questions here in the forum. And welcome to Electronics Point!