Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Boeing 747 Fan blades

dull spark

Aug 8, 2011
HI every one, I see a set of fan blades for sale on ebay,they are off a Boeing 747 I was thinking would these be any good for a wind turbine,I was thinking they could be fitted inside a large alloy tube, pipe, etc,with a funnel type entrance to the fan blades,but as they were designed to be Jet engine driven, would they do the job,Pitch angle of blades maybe not suitable, any advice out there,
or am I still up in the clouds, Price £300 approx
Thanks all.

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
The stator compressor blades (fixed) would work efficiently as wind turbine blades, but not the rotor blades (opposite profile of what's needed for good efficiency).
The opposite is true for the exhaust side, where the rotor blades would be desirable - though completely overkill due to the alloy ( & hence price).

dull spark

Aug 8, 2011
The stator compressor blades (fixed) would work efficiently as wind turbine blades, but not the rotor blades (opposite profile of what's needed for good efficiency).
The opposite is true for the exhaust side, where the rotor blades would be desirable - though completely overkill due to the alloy ( & hence price).
Thanks for the good advice,I am easily carried away, Just the look of those lovely big blades idling on the tarmac, I could imagine them on a 40 foot tower driving a big alternator, might annoy the neighbours thow, I will start with a motor vehicle alternator and 12v battery as a learning curve, no doubt you will hear about all my problems.
By for now.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
On the positive side, at least you don't have to wait for a 120 knot breeze before they start working efficiently ;)

You'd probably have some very nasty gyroscopic effects from such heavy blades too.

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
747 wind turbine

Hi there. Wow imagine a 747 wind turbine, Rollsroyce or what, super single cristaline metal alloy blades, if i was a neighbor, and saw it out my window i would approach you as to how to get the blades to make one, its got to be super afficient wind turbine. Dave. PS thinking big is great.