Maker Pro
Maker Pro

boiler relay pcb fault help!

maybeifI.....

Oct 17, 2010
Hi, Im hoping some one can give me some help/ advice,
I have a pellet boiler that has not been used over summer,
when I tried to put it back on, the auger failed to turn,(motor just barely moved sort of) I unpluged it and tried it else where and it worked ok, tested the feed and it was feeding 240vac but only something like 0.30A, I thought the relay may have been damp from sitting or worn as it had failed to work right when we got the boiler but it had started working.
I replaced the relay on the board but it made no difference, have wired it up to an external relay, so the 12v realy on the board switches the 240vac (with very low amps) and this in turn switches a small 240vac coil relay that switches the auger on.
the problem is that I dont think there is even enough juice for this relay as when the coil has power the motor runns but the relay is constantly clicking very fast. which I dont think is going to be good for the motor? I know its not an ideal way to have it set up but we need heat as its getting cold.
I belive it is probobly a capacitor gone but ther is also a choke on the board,
I bont know a lot about this stuff but would like some guidance on how to check it out some more.
an idea I have just had would be to use the 12v coil circuit on the board to switch an external relay with a new 240vac supply ie not using the board one, with the bad circuit, would that be a reasonable thing to do?
the bard would be really expensive to replace and I would really like to fix it!
sorry for the long post
thanks in advance for any help any one can give

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
Clicking; how fast (buzzing)? Could there be any sort of overload protection? Pictures of board & auger motor?

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Are you sure the auger is turning freely?
Make sure it's not seizing or sticking, and can turn freely.
I know you took it out and ran it without any problems, when it's reinstalled, is the auger
rubbing against something it shouldn't?
The clicking sounds like the relay is trying to engage, ...maybe the motor itself is sticking
or seizing, .... pellet dust in the motor housing? Bearings packed with pellet dust?
Not sure if you were running motor outside with no load (not moving pellets), and then
when you reinstalled motor, you were trying to move pellets, and the load (moving pellets) was enough to keep the motor from turning.
Sure might be electronics, but I'd check all the external possibilities too, related to the
mechanical function, as well as the electronics.