Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Boosting the output from Cypress Hotlink

v8pete

Aug 22, 2013
Hi All,
First post here! I'd be grateful for a couple of pointers for something I'm looking to work on soon. Basically, I want to try and run the Cypress Hotlink serialiser/deserialiser chipset over the same cable as I'm using for high-voltage DC power in an industrial application. The cable will likely be less than 60 feet in length, and the data rate will probably be at the lower end of the Hotlink capability ie. 150 Mbps. This should mean that I'm probably going to be fighting SNR issues on the line (due to residual wideband noise from the PSU) rather than problems with phase / amplitude distortion. Therefore I'm thinking it would be beneficial to increase the Hotlink output level to help my SNR situation. The chips produce what basically amounts to an ECL swing - what I'd like advice with is what would you suggest would be some ways to provide signal amplification, lets say 10dB for a starting point. I'm not cost sensitive in this application, so if there's an IC that'll do it for me that's fine, or shoud I be looking at a discrete implementation - if the latter, what topologies would I be best to look at. Not very familiar with this kind of terratory as I'm usually doing audio work :)
Thanks for any help!
Pete

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Here are some ideas...

Decouple both signals.

1) have inductors at both ends of your power run. This will help keep the high frequency signal from being attenuated.

2) capacitively couple your signal (which will clearly make it ignore the DC signal).

I think your issues will have more to do with the residual signal you can pick up than noise (given the frequency). The power cables are likely not going to have a low capacitance.

60 feet at 150Mb may be an interesting challenge.

Do you need 150Mb of bandwidth?