Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Bought wife a broken tradmill, help me redeem myself!

akorcovelos

Jul 30, 2011
haha, yeah but I don't think I could get one with as many features as this one has for 150 bucks. I also have a weakness for fixing broken stuff, I can't stop, lol.

How should I power the motors with the power supply? Do I jump a certain circuit to power it or something?

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
haha, yeah but I don't think I could get one with as many features as this one has for 150 bucks. I also have a weakness for fixing broken stuff, I can't stop, lol.

How should I power the motors with the power supply? Do I jump a certain circuit to power it or something?

I'd assume you could just bypass the controller, hook the motor directly to the PSU, if the motor runs in both directions under normal load then I would think the PSU and motor where working fine.

If the controller is the issue then removing it from the equation should produce a working machine minus the control.

akorcovelos

Jul 30, 2011
By PSU you mean the power supply board? Other than pulling the actual 12v lead off the board and touching + and - to the motor terminal how would I do that?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Presuming the motors are 12V, and the 12V power supply is there to power the motors, yes, you can just disconnect whatever leads there are to the motors already and jumper some wires from the PSU to the motor.

You need to be careful because:

1) the motor will run at maximum speed (and this may be faster than you've seen it ever operate)

2) The motor may rotate in either direction

3) There will be no limit switches to stop the motor from driving things too far, or continuing to drive stuff when it's jammed.

So, make sure that you only apply power for a very short time and that you have nothing where it can be caught up in the motor or anything the motor activates.

For 12V, I might consider having one lead that I manually brush against the PSU output. If I see big fat arcs, or the motor does something extremely odd I can probably detect that before something bad happens.