Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Breakout for IDC header

mickybob

Apr 27, 2012
This might be a stupid question but:

I have a board with a couple of IDC headers (16-way and 24-way, 3M 3408-2302 & 3M 3627-6302). I need to wire up a handful of the pins, some of which are power supplies to the board and so could draw reasonably large currents (maybe a few amps)

I'm looking for advice on the best way to do this. I've found this kind of connector:

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=1097021&MER=baynote-1097021-pr

which is designed for ribbon cable, but doesn't look ideal for soldering wires to.

Can anyone suggest a connector/plug that will easily allow me to solder (or screw) wires into? I can't seem to find the right thing to search for.

Thanks

Rleo6965

Jan 22, 2012
You don't need to solder the ribbon cable. Just select necessary count of wires for required current in connector and solder all together. i.e. in parallel connection. This will also the same with other end of ribbon cable connector.

Last edited:

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
You don't have to solder this connector at all. It is a press fit connector for ribbob cable. Just insert the cable souch that each wire lies above exactly one contact. Then push down the cap. Try to push as parallel as possible. A vice is a good tool (if you don't have a special parallel clamp.

If you want some of the ribbbon cable's wires not to connect to the connector, just cut them after pressing. This is better than cutting them before pressing because the wire ends give stability to the ribbon cable.

Harald