Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Broke Cathode Ray TV

Megan

Apr 7, 2016
I broke an old TV today and I think I accidentally inhaled the stuff from the back of the TV. I've read many different things and now I'm really worried. Could someone tell me what I inhaled?

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
I wouldn't worry too much. If one incident could cause any damage we would have people in toxic chemical suits picking up and disposing of old TVs.

Not sure what it would be that you inhaled though. When you say you broke it, do you mean the CRT itself was shattered?

Bob

Megan

Apr 7, 2016
First of all, thank you so much for replying because I am freaking out.

I'm not sure. The glass was broken. It made a hissing noise. There was a white film on the back of the glass and it was in the air. That's what I inhaled.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
That would be the phosphors. Don't know how toxic they are, but, like I said before, if one exposure was a danger, we would have strict rules about disposing of these. On the other hand, you might glow under a UV light now (just kidding :))

Bob

Megan

Apr 7, 2016
Thanks so much again! I was completely freaking out. I read about the gasses being phosphorus and organ failure. It broke in my house so I've been really anxious.

Last edited:

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
Thanks so much again! I was completely freaking out. I read about the gasses being phosphorus and organ failure. It broke in my house so I've been really anxious.

The hissing sound could be the air coming into the vacuum tube(assuming it was a crack and not shuttered to pieces )
You can read about the materials a CRT is made of here.

If you don't have any nausea,vomiting,diarrhea or throat and stomach pain then it is probably nothing .
If in doubt consult a Drug and Poisson information center .

Megan

Apr 7, 2016
Thank you for your response! I was pretty sure BobK knew what he was talking about but I did end up calling poison control for an extra bit of re-assurance.

Hopefully this thread will help someone in the future. haha