Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Broken Plastic clip on/off switch

Jamie Cullen

May 2, 2016
The one of two plastic clips holding the on/off circuit board switch broke and no longer holds the button in place. The button does still work when manually held in place. How can I fix this so that the button will be held in place and responds to being pushed on and off?

The top part/latching part of the clip broke and I was thinking of just putting a drop of crazy glue from the top of the broken clip onto the circuit board where the clip would have been. The clip broke off flush with the top of the circuit board. I an not sure if this will be effective?

The broken clip is in diagonally across from the intact clip. in the lower right of the more verticle pictures.

Thanks,

Jamie

Attachments

• 20160502_141734_resized.jpg
    20160502_141734_resized.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 129
  • 20160502_141802_resized.jpg
    20160502_141802_resized.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

pharaon

Oct 28, 2014
you can use the hot wax or glue gun to fix it in place or you can use any small piece of plastic one side of it on the circuit and the other side to be fixed in the place of the old plastic clips with fast plastic glue

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
Welcome to EP.
I think epoxy glue may be strong enough to hold the board in place.
Apply at the Red places,if needed you can add a small piece of plastic/meta//wood to bridge gaps.
20160502_141802_resized.jpg

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015

Sir Jamie Cullen . . . . . . .

Well . . . . . I can see that the cabinet proper is being of molded polypropylene.
If my repair to do I would cut out a plastic L bracket to put on that broken side.
The source of the same identical plastic would be a sacrificial harvest of the end shutter of an old VHS tape casette.
Springing out an end will result in the release of the cover and a sacrificial spring, if you have to repair a cassette in the future.
Then sawing and filing the plastic would form a short L bracket.
Now, in looking at your most revealing second photo:
The width of the bracket would be in excess of what the old broken off clip was was .
Measure from the top existing extension down to the "detritus / dirt " line along the bottom, and that would be the width of my plastic bracket.
Look back at the top of the extension and see that plastic extension only goes back so far . . . and ends, twice that distance would be my brackets left sides total length.
The right side of the bracket would be very short in comparison, of just enough length to reach to the foil trace at that close side of the board.
Then its only a matter of making that presently dirty working area pristine clean to prepare for the joining of the bracket.

Joining ?

A . . .2 . . . 2-56 screws and nuts from a model / craft store.

B . . .2 self tapping screws . . .but DO have bare / close clearance of the pre drilled screws holes in the plastic, so that the plastic doesn't SPLIT upon full screw insertion .

C . . . 2-56 or 4-40 machine screws and tapping the plastics

D . . . Plastic model airplane cement to join the plastics and immediate followed by 4 or 5 spaced out sewing pins pressed into the plastic with a hot soldering iron at a pins side , while held and driven with a pair of needle nose pliers. Then clip off the pins protruding excess and cap them with cement dots.

E . . . Superglue or epoxy alone BUT turn the shown whole unit 90 degrees to the right to let gravity KEEP lateral excess glue flow in check.

In the end, this extra effort of repair should still let you CAREFULLY . . . .micro flex . . . the good tab away just enough to lift up and by then angling the PCB, it should get the board free from this repaired end.

Pic Dupe Reference:

20160502_141802_resized-jpg.26597

Thassssit . . . . . .

73's de Edd

Last edited:

Jamie Cullen

May 2, 2016
you can use the hot wax or glue gun to fix it in place or you can use any small piece of plastic one side of it on the circuit and the other side to be fixed in the place of the old plastic clips with fast plastic glue
Thank you! I'll try it.

Jamie Cullen

May 2, 2016

Sir Jamie Cullen . . . . . . .

Well . . . . . I can see that the cabinet proper is being of molded polypropylene.
If my repair to do I would cut out a plastic L bracket to put on that broken side.
The source of the same identical plastic would be a sacrificial harvest of the end shutter of an old VHS tape casette.
Springing out an end will result in the release of the cover and a sacrificial spring, if you have to repair a cassette in the future.
Then sawing and filing the plastic would form a short L bracket.
Now, in looking at your most revealing second photo:
The width of the bracket would be in excess of what the old broken off clip was was .
Measure from the top existing extension down to the "detritus / dirt " line along the bottom, and that would be the width of my plastic bracket.
Look back at the top of the extension and see that plastic extension only goes back so far . . . and ends, twice that distance would be my brackets left sides total length.
The right side of the bracket would be very short in comparison, of just enough length to reach to the foil trace at that close side of the board.
Then its only a matter of making that presently dirty working area pristine clean to prepare for the joining of the bracket.

Joining ?

A . . .2 . . . 2-56 screws and nuts from a model / craft store.

B . . .2 self tapping screws . . .but DO have bare / close clearance of the pre drilled screws holes in the plastic, so that the plastic doesn't SPLIT upon full screw insertion .

C . . . 2-56 or 4-40 machine screws and tapping the plastics

D . . . Plastic model airplane cement to join the plastics and immediate followed by 4 or 5 spaced out sewing pins pressed into the plastic with a hot soldering iron at a pins side , while held and driven with a pair of needle nose pliers. Then clip off the pins protruding excess and cap them with cement dots.

E . . . Superglue or epoxy alone BUT turn the shown whole unit 90 degrees to the right to let gravity KEEP lateral excess glue flow in check.

In the end, this extra effort of repair should still let you CAREFULLY . . . .micro flex . . . the good tab away just enough to lift up and by then angling the PCB, it should get the board free from this repaired end.

Pic Dupe Reference:

20160502_141802_resized-jpg.26597

Thassssit . . . . . .

73's de Edd

Thank you! Lots of good ideas. I am thinking getting a similar tab/bracket from an abandoned electrical component and gluing it to what is left of the broken tab which is still anchored to the platform.

Jamie Cullen

May 2, 2016
Thank you! Lots of good ideas. I am thinking getting a similar tab/bracket from an abandoned electrical component and gluing it to what is left of the broken tab which is still anchored to the platform. Either model airplane glue or epoxy. I reall can't see