Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Broken Plug Stuck in DC-IN

Kami8610

Feb 27, 2013
Hi!

I have two Klipsch standing computer speakers. They were on my bookshelves.
We were packing to move recently and they were still plugged in. My cat knocked one onto the ground. The DC-IN plug broke right where it meets the DC-IN box so that its wedged in the DC-IN space and no way to pull it out. Its broken flush against the opening.

The old plug is clogging the DC-IN completely and no access point to pull it out.

I've tried tweezers, two thumb tacs to act as tweezers...I've even tried coating it with super glue and gluing cloth to it to act as the cord to pull it out.

I'm at the point where I am considering a dissolving agent to dissolve a bit of the plastic to break it out. But what would I use as a dissolving agent?

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks!
Kami

Attachments

• brokenplug.png
    brokenplug.png
    55.4 KB · Views: 190

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I'm not familiar with your brand of speaker.
Does the enclosure have screws that you can take out to access the inside of the
speaker housing.
If so, open the speaker enclosure, and you will be able to push the broken pin
out of its connector.

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
Looked up the brand - bloody expensive. Make sure you've exhausted all your warranty / guarantee / replace options before you start messing with them.

Other than that, sounds like you need to use a bigger tool and pull harder ;)

Dissolving things is a BAD idea. Try chipping away a small area to allow you to get a pair of pliers in.

attersee

Feb 2, 2013
Often things like that are covered by home insurance, - if there is one. Just an idea. rgds, Johann

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
If you can, post some pictures of the broken connector and the speaker housing. There's a good chance that the lateral force that broke the cord connector also damaged the chassis connector.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
I did a few quick Googles and it appears this plug is a small flat plug, I would suggest if you can crack open the speaker you might be able to push it out from inside using a needle or pin on the back side of the connector...

zenith

Nov 3, 2012
You could, if there is enough of the plug left in the socket, use a very fine drill bit, drill the plastic of the plug, don't go too far in.
Then screw a fine screw into the hole until it just bites and use a pair of pliers on the screw head, pull gently and it may come out.

And I just noticed this is a couple of weeks old :eek:

Last edited: