Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Broken PS3- I Need help

jam203

Dec 26, 2009
I have a PS3, it will play DVD's and AUDIO CD's but will not play games. I have taken it apart and discovered that it will spin the game disc around (like it is attempting to read it) and the it stops ad will no longer read the game. It sounds like it may be trying to though. It really has me puzzled, can ayone help me please, thank you

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
I don't know what the difference between a DVD & a game would be.
Check the lens for dust is all I can suggest.

I general, optical disc players have a multi-step startup sequence.
First it fires the laser & jogs the lens up & down to see if it's able to find a focus.
Only if it finds a focus does it start to spin up the disc, trying to lock on to a frequency.
If it doesn't find a signal good enough to lock on to it can try to spin the disc really fast.
If it locks to the data signal rate the disc rpm's will be stable and it'll start to transfer data to the cpu.
Even then there may be too many errors in the data stream for the cpu to correct.

undergrind662

Feb 27, 2010
The problem is the LED laser.... you can replace it by either buying a new one for about $80, or just buy a broken ps3 with same serial code on the back. When the led laser is broken or worn out, it will not play video game, but may still play dvd or cds