Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Broken SMD - need suggestion for replacement

fbel

Aug 8, 2014
Hello,

I have a car stereo (Delco model #15766343) that I was trying to trace when I broke a SMD ceramic capacitor. I need a suggestion for possible replacement. The picture shows the capacitor (circled) before it broke off: http://uploads.im/Y5aEb.png.

Thanks in advance for any help.

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Hello there and welcome to Electronics Point :)

As you've discovered, capacitance values are not marked on MLCCs (multi-layer ceramic capacitors). You may be able to fix it though...
  • Is it possible to measure the capacitance of the old one?
  • Have you searched the Internet for a service manual or schematic for that unit?
  • Can you read the part number of the quad flatpack IC next to the capacitor, find a data sheet for it on the Internet, and find which pin number it is connected to?
  • You could try a good old 0.1 µF 50V X7R capacitor and hope it works properly.

fbel

Aug 8, 2014
The IC is from Philips and I have not been able to find any data sheets for it, nor any schematics or service manuals for the stereo.

DPD002902

Based on the size of a similar capacitor on the board, you are most likely right about it being a 0.1 µF capacitor. Although the stereo works without the capacitor on my workbench, it was there for some reason so I want to replace it.

I've only been studying electronics for a few months, so thank you for your help.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
If it works without the capacitor it lends weight to the argument that the cap is not there for any critical purpose.

I would measure the resistance from both ends to the power supply for the IC, it is possible that it is connected across the power supply and thus the cap suggested by Kris would most likely be a suitable replacement.

Other than that, it may be hard to find out. If a 0.1uF cap doesn't negatively affect operation, it's probably the best you can do as a replacement.

Oh, if you can find another of these stereos you could measure the cap. I'm not sure how hard that would be though.

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
1uf max.... I'd try 0.1uf or 1uf whatever fits, probably just a decoupling cap.