Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Buck-Boost Inverting Power Supply

The Hammer

Sep 17, 2013
I'm looking at creating a power supply using a UC2845BD1R2G from ON Semiconductor to create a stable 12V 10A capable power source from inside a vehicle.

The intent is to power 6 separate LED strips inside a vehicle, and down convert again using either an LDO, or a buck converter for use by an MCU and possibly USB charge ports.

My guess would be this should work fine, but I am just beginning with power supplies. I've read the datasheet for the most part, and it seems like it's definitely plausible. I had some questions though..

Is there a more common chip that might be easier to work with than this? Are there any preferred "caclulators" to use when calculating the needed inductor/capacitor specs? I could do the math myself on these, but still like guides as it's my first time.

Datasheet:
http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/UC3844B-D.PDF

Last edited:

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
What is the input power? Most vehicles already have 12V or 24V power.

Bob

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
So why do you need a buck / boost converter to get 12V?

Bob

The Hammer

Sep 17, 2013
There is tolerance in most RGB LED strips to allow for common voltage changes in a vehicle despite them having an optimal/"required" voltage of 12V, but in certain setups/circumstances there may not be enough tolerance. I am developing a spectrum analyzer/N channel MOSFET PWM MCU board that might encourage people with uncommon audio/electrical systems to use this. Therefore, I want to build a controlled 12V PWM system.

For instance, in a friends vehicle with a custom audio solution, dual battery system, and an aftermarket rebuilt alternator he hovers around 15.2V typically.

Last edited: