Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Building a drone from scratch. What motors do I get?

Benjamin Thomas

Apr 3, 2017
Hello! New to this site so forgive me if I've posted in the wrong forum. I'm a newbie electronics hobbyist and I'm about to start work on a project that I've had in mind for a while; building a drone from scratch using an Arduino micro controller and a gyroscope. But I'm having trouble finding the motors that I need. I don't know what I'm searching for, I need 3v motors that I can attach propellers to. All the motors I have looked at have a smooth shaft (https://www.amazon.com/Lethan-Recta...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YWJKT9Z8Q36CGZWRRA99) so how do you attach a propeller - or anything for that matter - to it?
Does anyone know a good place to buy propellers for small electric motors? And how will I know that a propeller will fit the shaft of a motor?

I'm sorry if my question is a bit vague. I'm just at a loss of what to even search google for.
Thank you!

FTCnet

Nov 1, 2006
check out the drone parts at www.banggood.com Check out 'drone motor' and 'drone propeller' selection.
I don't think you'll have much luck with 3V motors. You should consider using ESC "electronic speed controller" to control the motors.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
Cheap toy drones use a 3.7V lithium battery. The motors are small and low power then the drone is also small.
If I wanted to build a drone from scratch then I would not use cheap Chinese parts with no spec's, instead I would copy a US or UK model drone and use its parts available at my local hobby store. Isn't that is where the radio control system is coming from, or from China?

Benjamin Thomas

Apr 3, 2017
No, I'm going to control the drone from a web interface that is provided by an on board raspberry pi zero :)

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
Will you use Wi-Fi or Bluetooth? Will the range be far enough? The model drones at the park have GPS and the flight plan is programmed into the model's memory. They have video transmitted back to the pilot watching through video goggles.
A few model drones flew away and the pilots do not know where or how far they went.