Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Building naim nap 140

Tjohn

Oct 5, 2021
Hello there, i always read about vintage amp on net,since my friend called my hifi a crap with crappy sound.
I read lot about Naim and its unique sound.
I want to know what is naim sound so i am trying build one from scratch.
I need some help.There is no ztx384 and zrx214 for nac preamp, so can i replace with bc549 and bc559( both are same voltage and low noise as ztx's).
Do all the transistors in nac have to be matching pair?
For naim nap 140 can i replace bc239c with bc109c .
I have some bc237 but its voltage very high and not low noise trans.
They says that the ltr transistors have to be low voltage to create naim sound(they means websites).
Do ztx653 /ztx753 and mje243/mle253 have to be match pair?
What are the values of output trans emitter resistors(how many ohm and watt).
Can i use normal coil type 5watt 0.22 ohm resistors?
Can i solder individual cables from each ground point to power supply ground to create star grounding( both nac and nap)?
Other than power supply voltage and o/p transistors , are there any other differences between nap 140 and nap250( there's only nap 250 schematic in net)?
Is it true that naim gears have to be onn 24/7 to get The Naim Sound?
Oh mighty DIYers,engineers,electronicians,Naim Nappers out there, please enlighten me.
I want to fullfill my life.

Thank you.

Moderatots note : used line breaks for better readability.

Last edited by a moderator:

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
The specs for the antique Naim Nap 140 amplifier say, "45Wpc continuous into 8 ohms (bandwidth and distortion not specified)".
Then maybe it produced 2nd-harmonics distortion (like an old tubes amplifier) that some people liked.

Modern hifi amplifiers produce distortion so low that it cannot be heard. The preamps use audio opamps, not tubes nor transistors.

Maybe your amplifier is an old low power class-D and lousy old LM358 opamps that produced a crappy sound.