Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Building on Veroboard

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
Yes, solder/copper side jumpers make sense to me. Does that help?

Of course you know very well that untidy circuits are a horror to work on, and that well-made stuff always does look good.

Toby

Jun 15, 2011
That may well help indeed. Using both sides for jumpers will probably give the space needed to pack in the components onto correct sized veroboard.

Perhaps component side for power and solder side for signals.

Thanks for that!

Toby

Jun 15, 2011
Quick update on this one.

I've now conceded that I will have to use a bigger board. This should solve the problems, however I still have one and wondered if anyone had some guidance.

Any suggestions as to wiring up a 556 timer and its associated components (timing network, control voltage caps and in this case a couple of diodes and resistors on the trigger pins - as per schematic above) on veroboard? I have experimented with various layouts but always find myself being 'hemmed in' when trying to connect up the last couple of pins. I'm pretty certain the space is there but its a case of me not utilising it effectively.

I thought there may be a couple of tricks to this kind of thing?

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
Not only jumpers, but other components may be wired to the bottom of the board.

J3ff

Jul 11, 2011
It's useful phase of learning.

Does anybody have any tips for building circuits on Veroboard?

I've been using LochMaster to try and design my circuit. I've selected my veroboard and then sized it accordingly using the software.

EDIT: Yes I'm aware I've missed an L in the title but I can't edit it now :D

Toby, LochMaster is handy tool for stripboards, but there's also VeeCAD with autorouter and Do it Yourself Layout Creator (DIYLC). Maybe it would be help in future to try them and VeeCAD support Atarado stripboards-like PCB-s.

Consider other posts upper, I don't think he will be happy with perfboard, maybe it will be too confusing for him, but try with stripboard on the way that consider every strip as net, and then connect them freely with flexible isolated wire.

Good luck

Toby

Jun 15, 2011
I've tried VeeCAD too but if I'm honest, don't like it. Saying that though, it is only the Lite version without autorouter and colour. Does have Net Errors function though so was going to design in LochMaster and then copy into VeeCad to check against schematic, if I can understand how that function works.

DIYLC seems just the same as LochMaster.

I've not had much time to play around with it recently but I think I'm slowly working out where to put things now on the bigger board. I just thought there was a trick for timer circuits as the 556 ends up being 'bulky'.

Toby

Jun 15, 2011
Right, taken me a while but I think I'm there.

Schematic...

SchemScr.jpg

Veroboard Component Side....

VeroScr.jpg

Veroboard Solder Side...

VeroSolScr.jpg

I've got the timer interlocking circuit there to prevent a timer triggering when the other is already running but I wonder if the relays ought to be wired through each other? I did have an example but it was for an earlier circuit and is now not applicable.

General thoughts? Circuit and design in general and the relay thought?

Toby

Jun 15, 2011
Nothing? Am I to assume that means the design is shocking? :D ;)