Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Burning PIC16F54s with the TL866

E-ten

Aug 16, 2021
I am trying to burn some old 16F54 chips with a recently acquired TL866 II PLUS programmer. Although I can see that the program works the fuses are not being configured.

Here is the header lines I am using:-
Code:
 LIST      P=16F54, R=DEC
          __FUSES   _RC_OSC & _WDT_OFF & _CP_OFF
          include   "P16F5X.inc"

but I have also used the following which I understand is an older configuration format:-
Code:
 LIST      P=16F54, R=DEC
        __CONFIG _RC_OSC & _WDT_OFF & _CP_OFF
          include   "P16F5X.inc"

Having selected device '16F54 @DIP18', are there some other switches in the TL866 software I need to set?
Or does the TL866 just not program these chips?

Could of course be something else. However having tried three different chips and getting the same result, I do not think it is faulty ICs.

Regards,
ep

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

There is a lot of different between the c54 and the f84. Read the datasheet.
The different between the C and the F series is, the C is OTP/one time programable, until the F stand for FLASH, so you can reprogram it many times you want.
Some of the C series has a window on the top, in that case you can erase it with UV light.

https://www.edaboard.com/threads/what-different-between-pic-16c54-and-16f54.81368/

Bertus

E-ten

Aug 16, 2021
I do apologise - I glanced at a nearby datasheet which is for the C version that is on the desk and this biased the thread heading.

I don't know how to edit my post but by all means, as Moderator, do edit the heading to read:-
Burning PIC16F54s with the TL866

and remove this response.

Or tell me how I can edit it.

Regards,
ep

bertus

Nov 8, 2019

E-ten

Aug 16, 2021
Many thanks for correcting my title mistake.

I wanted a programmer that handled Eproms and when I read that it also did PIC devices I opted for that one.

It is replacing a HI-LO All-07 which uses a parallel port (no longer have) and for which I still have the 5 1/4 floppies! I notice on the HI-LO site that there is a lot of development on the machine so for all I know someone has got it going with PIC devices!

Regards,
ep

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
According to this device list the pic16f54 is supported by the TL866. I can't find what the suffix "s" is supposed to signify.
There are different versions of teh TL866 (A, C, ...) Which one do you have? Did you upgrade to the most up to date firmware?
This video explains how to use the TL866's in circuit programming feature (although for another type of pic, it should work with yours, too).
There is also a discussion here which may help you.
Personally I do not have any experience with either this programmer or the pic, so that's all my 2 cents I can offer.

E-ten

Aug 16, 2021
I think the A, B, C designations refer to previous models of the programmer - not the II PLUS.

The discussion unfortunately refers to programming failure whereas my problem is just with the fuses.

My software is version 11. The site suggests there is a version 11.30. But I think that having tried four times to download and install it, that is enough for today! Plus I doubt if this is the problem.

It is with interest that I looked at the video and indeed the previous reference to Picit-3. I thought one needed to have a formal development board with the right connector but it would appear that I could wire up a socket and leads to do this. Anyway it is probably too early to consider changing the programming method since I still do not know what the problem is.

Playing about with the TL866, I came across this screen. I wonder whether some of the settings here are relevant.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    389.4 KB · Views: 3

E-ten

Aug 16, 2021
All sorted -it would appear that on the CONFIG screen shown, one has to tick WDT to inhibit it and FOSC0 for crystal use.

Looks like there is a CONFIG screen for each different chip, although I do not know if this is just relevant for older chips.

Regards,
ep