Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Burnt out Blanket Controller

Harold Younger

Oct 30, 2015
I live in Brazil where the voltage is 220 volts, 60Hz. My wife accidently bypassed my step down transformers and connected the 110 volt controllers into the 220 volt socket.The controllers were then burnt out. I am trying to find someone who can repair the two controllers since replacements are no longer available.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Welcome to EP!
Further info needed. Brand/model number/schematic?

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Winter is coming. Momma wants you to cuddle with her on cold winter nights instead of relying on electric blankets.
Get someone who knows how to repair electrical things, or take a risk and open-up one of the controllers (UNPLUGGED), to see if you can identify the damage.
Just hope the controller is the only component that took the hit, and not heating elements in the blankets themselves.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Winter is coming. Momma wants you to cuddle with her on cold winter nights
My sentiments exactly.
Harold, are you sure it was an accident!!? You may need to stock up on more headache tablets!:p

Open the controllers and take some nice clear , close pictures of either side of the board. And post them here.

Martin

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015

Sir Harold . . . . . .

Is there a possibility that this problem has already been "pre solved" for you per this :
OR I would think that a LOT of the control circuitry info would be interrelated, once you opened up your unit for inspection.

To wit:
They don't totally redesign and incorporate a completely new engine in each years car models!

Heat Controller :

blanket-controller1-jpg.6708

Controller and its housing :

blanket-transformer-and-controller-jpg.6709

Source:

THANKS ! . . . . be to the Honorable CDuncan

https://www.electronicspoint.com/threads/electric-blanket-repair-perfect-fit-controller.255567/

73's de Edd

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
The quickest and easiest way to fix the board is to remove the black things you can see in the photo above and measure between each and ever one of the pins with a multimeter set to LOW ohms.
If the needle moves right across the scale when the probes are in one position and also when they are reversed, the component will be damaged.
Start with the 3-legged components.