Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Burroughs Proprietary Part Numbers

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Anybody know of a reasonably complete Burroughs proprietary part number cross reference? Back in the 1980's Burroughs merged with some other company, to create a completely new company. I've been scrounging the internet, and have a fair number of partial cross references,... but there are a lot of parts I still haven't found a cross reference for. When Burroughs disappeared, their part numbers went with them,... I am trying to find a cross for the OLD, ACTUAL, Burroughs part numbers.
Thanks

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Thanks Bladesmith.
My uncle used to work for Burroughs, and I have a fair quantity of about 100 of their
devices. But was only able to cross about half of them.
Got the list from the site you sent, hope to identify many more from the new list.
thanks again

Bladesmith

Apr 22, 2011
My Dad also worked for Burroughs. I have about 5 of the old wire-wrapped boards from the mainframes, including a programing board. I guess the programed them in hex. This board has 16 switches and a display. Dad told me that each switch was a hex letter. He taught me to count in bianary, octal, and hex, using that switchboard when I was still in gradeschool.

When I couldn't find a chassis or power supply for the boards I took them apart for the components. I'm glad we don't need to wire-wrap new boards- 100 wires makes a real rats nest, let alone the 1000 or so that must be on each board. I still wire wrap some when I want a semi-permanent circuit and I'm to lazy to make a printed board.

Glad you found the links useful.

TheBladesmith

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
They had some smart guys working there, was sorry to see them merge with another
company, but I guess they gotta do that these days, or they get pulverized by foreign
companies.
Got most of my early test and measurement gear from my uncle. Once a year the company
would take all the old gear they were going to replace out back, and let employees (only)
bid on and T&M gear they wanted.
Then the company would take a wrecker with a ball and chain & crush the remaining
gear, so it wouldn't get back into the open market, and lower prices on the new stuff.