Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Bypassing a charging port

jerryb

Feb 18, 2014
Hi, I've got a LED Lenser H7R headlight, it's quite old and the wiring has become broken. I've put a new cable on it but as the charging port was never used I decided to not wire it back in. Now when I put the batteries in it comes on but I cannot switch it off, everything else seems ok so do I need to have the charging port in the wiring or have I stuffed it up somewhere else? Any help would be good, thanks.

KilgoreCemetery

Apr 12, 2017
For a second there, I was confused about headlights and rechargeable batteries, but I think I have it now.

First of all, you should know that I'm a rookie when it comes to this stuff, however, I do wonder if the charging port does more than just recharge the batteries. If this takes something like AA or AAA batteries, the charging port may contain things like overcharge protection, low power protection, and most importantly, a switch that changes between battery power and AC power. It's just a hunch, but if the charger part was incorporated into the switch circuit, you may get the symptoms you're experiencing now.

Short version is, it's probably best just to put the charging port back in.

jerryb

Feb 18, 2014
Hi,you're probably right, I'll put it back in and see what happens, it uses aaa batteries but the chap I was replacing the wire for never uses rechargable ones so we thought to make life easier I needn't wire the charging port back in. Just goes to show that there are no short cuts. Thanks for your info.

jerryb

Feb 18, 2014
Sorry to say it didn't work, I think I may have got a crossed wire on the control board somewhere, I will have to keep looking.