Maker Pro
Maker Pro

cable question

jazzdglass

Aug 10, 2013
I have been having some problems with micro USB cables recently so i need to ask some questions..

- when you join two cables of different wire strength together ( say a USB end to a microo USB end). does this affect the operation or life of the cable?

- when cables intertwine during usage, do they create field to interfere or damage the cable?

- and can someone take a look at the attached picture and tell me what those two round junctions before the end of the cables are called? and what are their significance to the cable?

thank you.

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
when you join two cables of different wire strength together ( say a USB end to a microo USB end). does this affect the operation or life of the cable?
I don't think the operation will be affected, provided you join them cleanly. Life of the cable will definitely be affected; any join in a heavily used cable is the weak point that will probably fail first, due to bending, crushing, stretching etc.
when cables intertwine during usage, do they create field to interfere or damage the cable?
With a USB cable, no.
and can someone take a look at the attached picture and tell me what those two round junctions before the end of the cables are called? and what are their significance to the cable?
There's no attached picture. If you're talking about a cylindrical "blob" on the cable, it's probably a ferrite ring. They are used to reduce high-frequency interference carried through the cable.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Wow thanks.. The uploader didn't allow me upload my picture.....

maybe it was physically and kb wise too big
keep it to ~ 800x600 and 100kb max and you shouldn't have a problem

cheers
Dave