Maker Pro
Maker Pro

CAD Software for Control Panel Schematic

Ben Halicki

Sep 3, 2015
Hi guys,

I need to document wiring of a control panel and looking for some CAD software. Wondering what everyone is using these days? Not looking for component level diagrams, more block diagrams with switches, relays, PLCs etc. Preferably looking for something industry standard with a good selection of templates and stencils.

Thanks in advance,

Ben.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Are you looking for physical layout/conductor runs etc, or Ladder style diagrams?
I don't really recall seeing any aimed specifically, although some Google searching may show something up.
For my self I started with Acad early on and have collected a library of blocks, there are possible some block files out there so any program you get may help if they import DXF or DWG blocks.
This is a ladder circuits PDF that has both EUI and N.A. type symbols.

Telemecanique wiring diagrams

M.

Ben Halicki

Sep 3, 2015
Hi Minder,
Thanks for your tips, a very nice diagram and exactly what i'm after (more ladder style than component/conductor runs). I've heard of another product other than AutoCAD, but can't for the life of me remember what it was called or find it on the Internet. I was hoping to avoid AutoCAD due to licensing cost (I have a student license, but will expire soon unfortunately). I guess you get what you pay for.

Thanks again,

Ben.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
If cost is an issue there is the likes of free TinyCAD that has some libraries and can be added to to build your own.
M.