Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Caller ID stumper

ccapesius

Apr 17, 2018
My VTech phone (land line) Caller ID stopped working and only displays “Incoming Call”. The CID works properly if I’m on a call and some else calls simultaneously. The CID also works if plugged into the cable box through my tv. I have tried buying two new phones, but I get the same result. Does anyone know how to suppress a first ring, which may be the issue or have another suggestion? This problem is mind boggling and the phone company is no help.

Chris

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Phone companies won't help prevent you from getting calls because they make their money from those calls to you. Have you tried contacting VTech about the issue, and see what they have to say?

ccapesius

Apr 17, 2018
Yes, VTech sent me a new phone, but I got the same result of it only showing "Incoming Call".

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
Yes, VTech sent me a new phone, but I got the same result of it only showing "Incoming Call".

The id burst is sent between the first and second ring. The ring you hear on your phone is not the same ring that that the calling party hears. I have a subscription to Nomorobo, https://www.nomorobo.com/ which kills my incoming calls on the first ring if they are known to be scammers. Some ID boxes are slow and lazy. When Nomorobo intercepts the call, I don't see the ID of the call on my telephone after the first ring, but it shows up on my TV, which is connected to the same modem. If your phone is not connected directly to the phone company, the modem or router may not be passing the id to your phone. Also be aware, that scammers can spoof the number to make it anything they want. Does your ID work when your known friends call?

Ratch

ccapesius

Apr 17, 2018
The caller ID doesn't work when known friends call (it does if I'm on another call when they call). Also, when I plug the phone directly into the jack (not modem) I still only get "Incoming Call".

Chris

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
The caller ID doesn't work when known friends call (it does if I'm on another call when they call). Also, when I plug the phone directly into the jack (not modem) I still only get "Incoming Call".

Chris

Are you sure the phone jack goes directly to the phone company instead of one of those modems that carry phone, TV and internet on one signal line and separate them within the residence? Try to get another phone that you know for sure works elsewhere, or bring your phone over to a friends house and see if it works there. Unless you have fancy trouble shooting equipment like the service providers do, substitution is about the only alternative.

Ratch

ccapesius

Apr 17, 2018
Thanks Ratch. I've tried 2 new phones and Caller Id still only displays "Incoming Call". Also, the Caller ID does work on the current phone (for some reason) when I'm on a call and another call comes in. Very strange.

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
Thanks Ratch. I've tried 2 new phones and Caller Id still only displays "Incoming Call". Also, the Caller ID does work on the current phone (for some reason) when I'm on a call and another call comes in. Very strange.

Unless you can verify that the "test" phones work elsewhere, I would not certify them as fully operational. Especially if they are made in China.

Ratch

chinauser.jpg

Frankchie

Nov 14, 2017
Wild stab in the dark...disconnect all other phones, answering machines, etc. from the line and see if CID works on one phone. If possible, connect that phone as close as possible to where the phone line enters the house and disconnect the internal house wiring as well.