Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Camera Bootstrap circuit

whiteworld

Oct 15, 2016
Hi
I have an old k810 Sony cellphone that doesn't work anymore.
Can I somehow connect its camera to a circuit ( some kind of bootstrap circuit maybe) And use the camera only?
Thanks

Last edited:

whiteworld

Oct 15, 2016
Probably not,

I have Camera DataSheet , Not Again !?

Pin# Pin name Description I/O State @ State @ State@
1 AF_GND
2 GND Ground - - - -
3 VDD_AF Voltage supply for autofocus (2.7 V)
4 SCL I2C serial bus clock I/O HiZ HiZ Active
5 GND Ground - - - -
6 SDA I2C serial bus data I/O HiZ HiZ Active
7 VDD_SA Voltage supply for analog part of sensor (2.7 V)
8 VSYNC Vertical synchronization signal O Low HiZ HiZ
9 GND Ground - - - -
10 HSYNC Horizontal synchronization signal O Low HiZ HiZ
11 VDD_IO Voltage supply for DSP I/O (2.7V)
12 XRST System reset I - - -
13 TRIG Interrupt signal O Low HiZ* HiZ*
14 CAPTSTRB Capture/strobe signal O Low HiZ* HiZ*
15 GND Ground - - - -
16 D[6] Digital video data O Low HiZ HiZ
17 D[7] Digital video data (MSB) O Low HiZ HiZ
18 D[4] Digital video data O Low HiZ HiZ
19 D[5] Digital video data O Low HiZ HiZ
20 D[2] Digital video data O Low HiZ HiZ
21 D[3] Digital video data O Low HiZ HiZ
22 D[0] Digital video data (LSB) O Low HiZ HiZ
23 D[1] Digital video data O Low HiZ HiZ
24 GND Ground - - - -
25 VDD_SD Voltage supply for digital part of sensor (1.8 V)
26 MCK System clock input I - - -
27 DCK Digital video data clock O Low HiZ HiZ
28 GND Ground - - - -
29 GND Ground - - - -
30 VDD_L Voltage supply for DSP core (1.2 V)

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Well, that's gonna help if those signals are really there (you did say the cellphone was busted). Looks like you have eight bits of digital video, horizontal and vertical sync, a video data clock, and lots of ground returns. There might even be some power available from the phone, unless those VDD pins are just for voltage monitoring purposes.

Question is: are those digital video bits really there, and if not, how do you make them appear? If so, then you might be able to connect the video to an 8-bit DAC and generate analog video to display on a monitor or an LCD screen. However, you don't have a clue on the scan format although a oscilloscope can be used in conjunction with the horizontal and vertical sync and the pixel clock to figure that out. Sounds like a prodigious task, and probably not worth the effort since ready-made hi-res cameras are readily available.

If no one else here at EP responds with DIY information, try searching some other sites like Hackaday. If it can be done, you can be assured that someone has already done it,,. this is old technology. Try not to re-invent their wheel on your own. It will require formidable analysis and circuit design skills to re-purpose your cellphone as a camera. Might be worth while if you posess the requisite skill set and can obtain the components you need. Iran isn't exactly a third-world country by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't know how accessible world-class components are to you.

whiteworld

Oct 15, 2016
Well, that's gonna help if those signals are really there (you did say the cellphone was busted). Looks like you have eight bits of digital video, horizontal and vertical sync, a video data clock, and lots of ground returns. There might even be some power available from the phone, unless those VDD pins are just for voltage monitoring purposes.

Question is: are those digital video bits really there, and if not, how do you make them appear? If so, then you might be able to connect the video to an 8-bit DAC and generate analog video to display on a monitor or an LCD screen. However, you don't have a clue on the scan format although a oscilloscope can be used in conjunction with the horizontal and vertical sync and the pixel clock to figure that out. Sounds like a prodigious task, and probably not worth the effort since ready-made hi-res cameras are readily available.

If no one else here at EP responds with DIY information, try searching some other sites like Hackaday. If it can be done, you can be assured that someone has already done it,,. this is old technology. Try not to re-invent their wheel on your own. It will require formidable analysis and circuit design skills to re-purpose your cellphone as a camera. Might be worth while if you posess the requisite skill set and can obtain the components you need. Iran isn't exactly a third-world country by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't know how accessible world-class components are to you.

Thanks, it was quite helpful to get me started at least I know what I'm looking for now lol . This phone is kinda ancient technology and was in my stuff for years now till recently I thought about "scavenging" it . I don't think I'll have problem with components, fortunately when it comes to electronics we're not much behind other countries.