Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Can anyone help? (Car audio content)

mkivdubbin

Aug 15, 2012
I have a pioneer head unit that has a USB on the front of the faceplate. I would like to find the data and power connections inside the tuner to make my own USB connection and run in out the back. I want to do this so I can run the cable through the dash resulting in a much cleaner look in my car. My main question is how would one find the points inside the tuner to splice a USB cable and make the connections.... Im pretty new to electronics so be nice, any help is appreciated

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
One post is enough.

Yeah, this is pretty easy. Open up the unit and find where the USB connection is connected and connect another cable there.

You will need to disconnect the front panel connector, or remember not to use it (or bad things might happen).

There will be 4 pins or 4 connections to the front panel connector and you can connect these to a USB cable that you remove one plug from.

The hardest part is making sure you connect the correct wires. A few minutes spent looking at the connectors and using a multimeter to determine what wire connects where and that problem should be sorted.

mkivdubbin

Aug 15, 2012
Yeah sorry about that I thought I posted in the wrong forum and I couldnt figure out how to delete it.... I see the four soldered connections on the board of the faceplate... but the faceplate is detachable, so it connects to the rest of the unit with a 20 pin connector... would it be at all possible to do this from the inside of the unit itself, not just the faceplate? Thanks for the response

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Sure. Connect the wires to those soldered connections. It is fiddly, and as I said above, you'll have to ensure you don't use the front USB connector.

How good are you with a soldering iron, and do you have a multimeter (and know how to use it)?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
OK, well, by the sounds of it you'll need both to do this.

you need to determine both which wires in the cable connect to which pins on the connector, and which pins on the pcb connect to which pins in the front panel connector. That's a job for a multimeter.

Then you need to carefully solder the wires from the cable to the pcb and provide some strain relief.

mkivdubbin

Aug 15, 2012
That sounds a little out of my league. I think I'm just going to sacrifice the ability to remove the faceplate and directly wire it to the back of the old USB. Thanks so much for the help