Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Can anyone help identify this diode housing?!

A

Anon_AM

Jan 1, 1970
Hi everyone. I'm struggling to find out the correct name of this black component housing on the left of the photo below (to mount old diodes to a pcb).

Can anyone help with what they're called, and where I can get them from?!

Thanks so much!

Possible Diode holder.jpg

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Hi Andy,
I am replying to 'bump' this post. You have me intrigued. Maybe the more (senior) members may know.:D
Can you supply us with any other info?
When you say 'diode', a discrete diode or lazer diode?
I typed every imaginable search term and found nothing!!
What makes you think it is a tool for mounting diodes to a pcb?

Martin

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I have never seen anything like it either

A

Anon_AM

Jan 1, 1970
It is certainly an odd one! The only time I've seen it was on a PCB, being used to house an old germanium diode which (if you can imagine) was strapped in with one leg wrapped over the top. I actually found this picture during a google search for transistor sockets, and it reminded me to try and find out what it is!

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Well there's my problem......I didn't search for transistor socket:p

Martin

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Just an opinion here.
In the 'old days', it was common to mount large diodes vertically to save space on a PCB where space was at a premium.
It served a couple of functions. To save space on the board, to keep the diode up off the board for heat dissipation, and provide a rigid support for anti-vibration protection.
My guess is that's a 'special purpose' mount made for the instrument manufacturer specifically for a particular purpose in the instrument. A 'special order' item.
I've seen a lot of simpler mounts made for the same purpose in a lot of equipment. That one seems like a more elaborate configuration.
I don't think you're going to find another one like it made for mass-production and distribution by a manufacturer.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
My guess also it is a OEM produced part, possibly to enhance the heat dissipation of a leaded diode, as the wire connected to a power rectifier diode is generally large guage to act as its heat sink.
M.