Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Can I fix this DJ Mixer myself?

mikehende

Dec 22, 2006
Hey guys, me again, sorry. This time I got a Denon DN-X500 DJ Mixer on a trade, when I got it I had tested the main features and it worked perfectly but now I fully tested all features to find 2 things not working the Talkover Mic function and also the channel two.

Friend of mine says that since the main outputs and functions are working fine then this should be an easier fix since I know which exact functions are not working. Before I should even bother to open this up, I wanted to check if this is true with you guys here please?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Before I should even bother to open this up
Do bother.
Fixing this may be as easy as fixing a lose connector - or as diffcult as replacing an SMD circuit. A visual inspection is always a good start for analyzing the issue.
2 things not working the Talkover Mic function and also the channel two.
What does "not working" exactly mean? Completely out of order? Too noisy? Not loud enough? Fixed amplitude (not controllable)? ...

mikehende

Dec 22, 2006
Ok thanks. let me give the details. If you can look at the attached image please, the top red arrow pointing to the rotary line select inputs on the mixer's CH2 is not working no matter which line is selected.

https://s17.postimg.org/i4tnzhfhr/denon.png

On CH 1, 3 and 4 I can select any line input with their rotary knobs and all works fine. The CH2 RCA Input on the back of the unit is working fine, I can select Line 2 from any of CH 1,3 and 4 rotary knobs.

The Talkover button does not illuminate when pressed and had has no effect. All other buttons and functions on the mic sections work fine.

turbogt16v

Mar 27, 2015
You need to open it,and then post pic of board with pot,of the channel and the button that is not working ,very detailed,so we can se what is possibly wrong

mikehende

Dec 22, 2006
I think I ran into another issue on Saturday when testing, would need to bring it in to check, might get to it tomorrow and will post back here, thanks,

mikehende

Dec 22, 2006
Just brought it in opened the top compartment but can't flip it to take a pic, will try again in the morning. I did test again before opening and noticed CH3 is working but playing at a lower volume than CH1 and 4. So to sum up the issues, CH2 no audio, channel 3 lower audio level, CH1 and 4 same audio level and seems to be normal volume level.

mikehende

Dec 22, 2006
I don;t know how to take a pic of the underneath of the mixer controls guys as there are 5 ribbon cables attached to the bottom of the mixer's circuit board so I can't flip the top compartment over. The top compartment mixer controls has it's own circuit board underneath it so the ribbon cables are attached from that to circuit board on the bottom.

turbogt16v

Mar 27, 2015
There must be a way,but if you can't find a way ,plz post pic of the board so someone can help you disamble the cables from board

Maybe this video will help

Last edited:

mikehende

Dec 22, 2006
Na, this mixer is shaped and built much differently that that simple flat controller. Anyway, please see these 3 pics here.

First shows the top plate with the mixer controls has 2 boards attached to it [where the 2 arrows are pointing], directly underneath the top controls is a circuit board and that board has a smaller board attached to it and that smaller board has the ribbon cables which are attached to the other board at the bottom of the mixer.

https://s17.postimg.org/eh3heruq7/denon4.png

https://s17.postimg.org/iq87h035b/denon2.jpg

https://s17.postimg.org/5m2n4dg9b/denon.jpg.png

turbogt16v

Mar 27, 2015
Look video at 10min,you can disamble that whole board i dont think i would be a problem,if you done similar things.
And then take a picture of the board and 5he lid of the board and mark not working components,in the way that we can see through the lid.

Whem you start disamble, picture every step,for future assembly

mikehende

Dec 22, 2006
The 10 minute mark seems be simply that he removed the screws from the bottom lid and that releases the top?

With mine, only way I think to take the top off with it's 2 boards attached is to separate all ribbon cables from the bottom board.

turbogt16v

Mar 27, 2015
You can remove ribbon cables, watch from 10:30,and watch till he gets them of and explain how to remove it

mikehende

Dec 22, 2006
Hey guys, sorry for the late response. I truly appreciate your willingness to help but I think this will be way too involved for me so I have decided to put it on ebay for repair.