Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Can I use 240V lamp from NZ in US?

Sandy

Mar 2, 2007
Hi,

I've just moved from New Zealand back to the US and inadvertently brought along some desk lamps (3). I already have plug adapters for them (we bought some in bulk) so plugging them in isn't a problem. I read the thread

https://www.electronicspoint.com/t2420-can-i-240v-to-110v-lamp.html

but these lamps use the 12v halogen 50W bulb and I wasn't sure if the 12v part would be a problem.

Can I simply buy a 12V 50W bulb with the right base here in the US and have it work? Or do we have more stuff for the dump? ;)

Thanks,
Sandy

canactech

Jul 7, 2009
Normally you should be able to connect your lamp on the wall and have light from it, but the 12 V is produced with a transformer and the tension in the USA is 120V rather than 240V so you will have only six volts for your lamps. It should react like if you've plug your lamps on a dimmer switch adjust at half the power. If you're very lucky, your step down power supply could be a tension sensitive system and switch from 240V to 120V but I strongly doubt of it.

The best is to try it and see the result.

Canactech

Sandy

Mar 2, 2007
Thanks canactech, that's pretty much what we did. And you were right. They were dim enough as to be pretty much useless. Too bad.

Thanks,
Sandy

sirkituk

Mar 27, 2009
Any chance you could find a 6 Volt halogen bulb with correct base. Even if lower power (wattage) it would still make your lamp useable.

Last edited:

Sandy

Mar 2, 2007
Hi sirkituk,

We tried to find the bulb you describe but couldn't find one in the US, even online. Anything from overseas cost more with shipping than a new lamp... so the lamp is gone. It's been over two years, so I've kinda gotten over it. Frankly there were so many electronic items that we had to replace that this was the least of our problems. I was just trying to avoid one more expense after paying to ship my belongings halfway 'round the world. :)

Thanks,
Sandy